Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

power steering pump replacement

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  snailblazin 
#1 ·
anyone here have any experience replacing the power steering pump? my pos is making this whining noise like a honda in reverse and i cannot stand it, i wont even drive it. any experiences, tips and suggestions let me know. This is the 2nd trailblazer ive owned, and replaced the steering pump on both luckly the first one was under warranty. go GM. part numbers would be a plus too

#2 ·
Eric's (ScarabEpic) gonna replace his tomorrow. He's gonna make a how to and stuff. Just do a quich search on steering pump and you should get a few. I'm also having the same problem as well as another 4-5 members :eek:

#4 ·
I got mine done TODAY!!! The dealership was able to overnight parts to me (just a PS pump) yesterday so I picked them up today.

I took a bunch of pics, should hopefully have a how to submitted to mods by late tonight.

Its actually really easy. I dont know if the 02 and 03 pump #s are the same, but give your dealership a call and see if they can get one for you. Mine was $155.08 + tax. I also replaced the serp belt at the same time as you have to pull it off anyway.

The one thing you need is a power steering pulley remover and installer. I rented mine from Schucks (aka Checker, etc) and got a Powerbuilt Kit #20. That has the proper attachments for our PS pump pulley.

#9 ·
itchyfishnv said:
nice, looking forward to the pics. did you have to bleed any lines or anything like that? or just pop the new one on, fill it up and go?
You really should flush and then bleed the system. I just installed the pump, filled the resovoir to full cold and drove to Midas. I paid $82 for a power steering flush/refill. I am in a hurry to get out (sorry, I have tons of pics but I dont have to do a how-to:cry: ) so I paid them to do it. Took about 30 min and I was ready to roll.

Works perfectly now.:yes:

#10 ·
How bad was that sucker whining? I notice my truck makes a whining noise when I'm pulling out of the Police Dept on my way home...a left turn across two lanes. Only hear it when the truck's cold and when turning. Just curious if it's the same symptoms...:undecided

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.