Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Oil loss mystery?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dafy46 
#1 ·
Newbie here, first post. 2002 Envoy SLT 6 cyl auto Canadian car. Red engine light comes on and it is low oil problem. 1.5 qts and everything is fine for 6 weeks. dry oil pan right past the start of the transmission then some wetness. threw in some gunk and the small drip in the driveway stopped. no smoking either. any suggestions before I get the word from the dealer.
sorry I cant give you a mileage between red lites. car has 107K miles. I thought at first that the dealer forgot that it takes 7 qts and not 5 when the oil changed.

#2 ·
the plant manager where i work has the same issue with his tb,he told me that gm used low tension oil rings to try to help out the fuel economy he said that he has been putting slick 50 in with his oil and the problem seems to have quit ,my 5.3 does the same as well i wonder if its carbon build up on the rings or if it because of the active fuel management system running on 4 cyls cruising i think the oil is quench cooling the rings making a carbon build up ,i was thinking bout putting a quart of trans fluid in the oil to clean things up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.