Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2006 TB fuel filter

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bartonmd 
#1 ·
Is this true that the fuel filter is in the gas tank and cannot be replaced??

#3 ·
It is not a "filter" per say, more like a filter sock that sits on the end of the fuel pump.

They are not serviceable from what I have read and heard without replaceing the pump as the filter sock is not sold sperately.

#5 ·
All fuel pumps have a sock of some kind. I can't find a picture, but I gather that it's a regular-style fuel filter between the output of the pump and the top of the tank.

I do know that the fuel filter does not need to be replaced until the ~100-130k mark that the fuel pump needs replaced, because the fuel pump only pumps the amount of fuel that the engine needs, since it's a returnless system now. Before, the fuel filter actually filtered the fuel multiple times, especially a low throttle positions where the pump was pumping and the filter was filtering, say, 5x the fuel that the engine actually needed at that time.

Mike

#6 ·
I think the filter sock is the only thing, the GTO's ran into the same issue and when the pumps were pulled the sock filter was te only thing it the system when the pump was pulled.

Seems GM has done away with actual external tank filters anymore.

#7 ·
So... is the sock made of the same material as normal filter material? There has to be a real filter, whatever the shape... Pretty much all fuel pumps in the tank have had sock strainers made of mesh, to stop objects big enough to damage the pump from getting in, so if this is true, they would have to have changed the sock to be a "real" filter...

mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.