Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

SES Code P0495

67K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  thefaeryman 
#1 ·
"Cooling Fan High Speed'. Just bought a 2002 TB with 77XXX on the clock last week. Traded my baby - 02 Camaro SS - since the TB would tow a boat and the SS wouldn't. Anyhow, two days after I bring it home, I get a this SES light. Is this a common issue? Also, during the test drive I noticed the cooling fan was extremely loud, it sound like a jet motor, especially when your on the throttle. Saleman assured me it was normal for the TB's. Now that I see this code I'm guessing not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

#2 ·
Dan,

SES P0495 "Cooling Fan High Speed' = Time for fan clutch replacement. Sorry. :mad:

Is this a common issue? I have been told it is a very common issue with 2003-2003 Trailblazers. I bought a used 2003 with 45000mi, clutch went in 2 weeks. You will know it as the engine will sound like a roaring jet engine under 2000rpm and your AC will work so well you could turn it into a meat locker. You can drive it if it has failed, as it has failed in the fail-safe "ON" position. Therfore your fan is just always on, and not turning off, which in turn will decrese horsepower and gas mileage, since the fan is not electric, and is connected directlly to the engine. A quick test to determine if the clutch is locked would be to pop your hood, start your engine, and then shut it off, if it doesnt "free spin" after the engine is killed, and is stopped by the engine, the clutch is locked in ON. I have been told that sometimes the viscous switch can work its way free again. I gambled and replaced with a used part. The used parts dealer I bought my replacement from said they sell alot of these clutches. My used came with a lifetime warranty for $150 instead of new for $300something. Dealer quoted $500 to fix. :eek: I read somewere that the problem with the clutches was resolved after a certain part number, but can only remember that it was sometime in 2003. So if you by used like me it could happen again. I have also read of 2004 and 2005 fan clutches failing so who knows. :rolleyes: If you do it your self, get the Haines manual and follow instructions, and yes, you really do have to take out the whole fan assemblly to change just the clutch :mad: as the fan shroud is one piece, so to get it out you will have to remove the radiator lines.

#3 ·
Thanks JDP, thats what I was afraid it was. I've owned the truck less than 72 hours, and the dealership I bought from has always treated me well, so I'm going to see them tomorrow to see what they will do. If they won't do anything, I'll do it myself. Again, thanks for the quick response!

#4 ·
If you replace the fan clutch, be sure to only use the new latest part number 15293048. Any other part number will only be replacing the bad part with another potential bad part.

Sounds like the salesman told a "story" when he said they all do that. It was defective when you drove it off the lot, and they should make it good. :m2:

#5 ·
Welcome to the site, it is a great place for all of your TB questions!

Yea, if the salesman told you it was normal, take it back to him and show him the SES code for fan clutch replacement.
BTW, Ive heard it is a little tricky to install the new clutch, but Ive been lucky, 02 TB LT with 52,500mi on the ODO, and original 02 clutch. Keeping my fingers crossed. :yes:

But, I'm sorry to see that you've only had it for three days and already something went wrong. :cry:

#6 ·
I had the same problem on my 02 TB at about 50,000 miles. I took it to the dealer one time, they put the computer to it. couldn't find anything. They said hot days the fan clutch stays engaged. Sometimes it happens in the morning when its not hot. So proved them wrong. It does sound like a roaring jet, the gas mileage is horrible. Strangest thing took a road trip 8 hours roundtrip. Came home the problem was gone. It seemed to me that something was either clogged up or needed to be warmed up. Who knows, til this date, still not sure why, Don' t care, its not doing it anymore. BUt the dealer wasn't able to fix it. Must of been a glitch. 02 TB now with over 73000 miles. OTher than that love the truck.

#7 ·
Thanks again for all the insight. I talked to the dealership today, they said bring it back and they'd fix it, no problem. I mentioned the "new" part number to there service guy and he is aware. I'm learning to like the TB, still a bit of adjustment as I've always owned sports cars and never a SUV. I just hope it holds up.

#9 ·
P0463

Just had my 05 TB, 104k, at the dealer for the CE light and P0410 code, they replaced the Secondary air solenoid & gasket, $325.
They also found P0495 error fan clutch replacement, they said it has some wobble, but will last a bit longer. This one will cost about $750.
Also P0463 Fuel level sensor intermittent, yeah my fuel low light is on all the time. that one is only $360.
Oh what fun it is.

#10 ·
I have looked it up and it is a defect in the Trailblazer clutch fan. It will make that noise off and on and Gm knows about it but never did a recall cause it never effected the preformane of the trailblazer. Mine have 170k mile on it and it made that noise off and on until a few days a go the noise will not stop

#12 ·
I had that winding too, thought it was the fan clutch. They thought it was the clutch and replaced it. Didn't fixed the noise so they put the old one back in.
Then they did a rebuild of the water pump and replaced the alternator, new serpentine belt... that was about $800. And three DVD in the waiting room.
You have to take out the radiator to get at any of that stuff.
best to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.