Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Oil Change interval?

18K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  mwfaith1971 
#1 ·
I changed oil in my '02 Trail Blazer and changed to Mobil 1. The lube shop in Murrieta CA put a 7,500 mile sticker in the window. Is Mobil 1 good for that many miles? I put Penzoil synthetic in the wife's LaCross this past weekend and the lube guy says 5,000 miles on the Penzoil. I have a little over 5,000 miles on the Mobil 1 and the 4.2 hasn't used a drop.

Thanks,
Houbie

Golf is not a matter of life and death, it's far more important than that!!

#3 ·
Changed mine this weekend at 12,000+ miles after finally getting the change oil light. Had Mobil 1 synthetic extended life (15,000miles). Replaced it regular Mobil 1 synthetic and will stick to the oil life monitor.

Haven't heard of any engine issues or bad oil analysis from someone following the OLM.

#8 ·
I wouldn't trust that "change oil light" for anything. First time it came on was 11,000, then 23,000 then something like 40,000 then 70,000, then 100,000. No way oil change intervals should be this long under any circumstances. I've changed it every 3,000 miles religiously and it starts looking fairly dark by then. Cheap insurance, very cheap insurance.

Anyway, that's my .02.

#9 ·
Hate to be a dissenter, but driving the car past the service interval until the "change oil light" appears should never happen. The longest interval you should leave oil in the crankcase should be the recommended service mileage in the owner's manual. If you guys and ladies are adding oil between extended change intervals or are waiting for a "change oil light" then you could be doing more damage to the engine than necessary.

I've changed oil at 3,000 miles on the mark (as a preference), and I have avoided engine breakdown, excessive engine wear and oil usage issues on my past cars. I have also seen cases where premature engine wear and breakdown have occurred from infrequent oil maintenance. I've changed oil at 1100 miles on some cars (stored) so as to help keep engine wear down by maintaining clean oil in the crankcase. A lot of people go farther than 3,000 miles, so I would say that one should keep an eye on the cleanliness of the oil and change it at the recommended service interval.

#10 · (Edited)
Hate to be a dissenter, but driving the car past the service interval until the "change oil light" appears should never happen. The longest interval you should leave oil in the crankcase should be the recommended service mileage in the owner's manual. If you guys and ladies are adding oil between extended change intervals or are waiting for a "change oil light" then you could be doing more damage to the engine than necessary.

I've changed oil at 3,000 miles on the mark (as a preference), and I have avoided engine breakdown, excessive engine wear and oil usage issues on my past cars. I have also seen cases where premature engine wear and breakdown have occurred from infrequent oil maintenance. I've changed oil at 1100 miles on some cars (stored) so as to help keep engine wear down by maintaining clean oil in the crankcase. A lot of people go farther than 3,000 miles, so I would say that one should keep an eye on the cleanliness of the oil and change it at the recommended service interval.

This is what the Owners manual recomends: Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the GM Oil Life System or every 12 months, whichever

occurs first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.