Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Leaking Washer Tank

22K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  BerthaBluBlazer 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

So, I have been dealing with what I thought was a leaking washer fluid tank since January. I would fill up the tank, and within several days it would be empty, with just a few uses. I haven't had time to investigate this annoying problem, so I basically went without washers until yesterday.
Finding myself with a little spare time, I disassembled the washer tank assembly. I unplugged the pumps from the tank, and they seemed fine, so I plugged the holes that the 2 pumps fit into, and filled the tank with water to find the leak. To my surprise, the tank was solid...no leaks. So, I began investigating.
I reassembled the pumps and the tank, and had my wife operate the front and rear washers while I observed. No leaks! I knew something was up, so I had my wife continue to operate the washers. Lo and behold, after a few seconds, the rear washer pump sprung a MIGHTY leak.
I disassembled it all again, and it seems the bottom housing of the rear pump, which snaps on and holds the impeller, had developed a critical crack in the body, and the o-ring that seals it to the pump motor was out of place.
I don't know if that part can be ordered separately (it's been a few years since I worked in GM Parts), and I didn't want to bother with finding out, so I decided to repair mine. Using some petroleum jelly, Gorilla Glue, and black electrical tape, I repaired the bottom housing of the washer pump. Now, we'll see how long it holds.
I'll bet that bottom housing cracked due to freezing over the winter. If any of you are experiencing a weird leak from the washer tank, this might be the culprit.

See less See more
#3 ·
washer fluid leak

Just realized I have the same problem. Filled my washer fluid tank and all the fluid poured right out the bottom. There are two electrical plugs at the base of the tank. I guess they're the washer motors. How do you troubleshoot to see if it is the motor or a gasket? How do I take them off and or apart?

#6 ·
It's easier if you pull off the front grille assembly and remove that headlight.

The washer pumps pop right off (pull up). You can then unplug the wires and inspect them. If you're going to toss them, REMOVE THAT LITTLE RUBBER NIPPLE - some aftermarket units DO NOT come with those (or they are different and don't sit the same)!!!

I had to replace mine as they burned out. I found that the aftermaket ones didn't sit well in the tank and the tank would empty itself just as quickly as I could fill it (yes, this was a piss off!)

I solved that problem with a bead of black silicone alone the outer edge of the nipple, sitting the pump back in and letting it dry.

I haven't had a problem since.

:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Leaking washer fluid when filled

The washer fluid seemed to become empty suddenly lately(no freezes yet here) and when I had a new battery installed today, my mechanic showed me the washer fluid leaking right out after the tank was filled. After a while, the leak stopped but there is still fluid in the tank.

What is the procedure for removing the tank? I can fix it or the pump(s) if damaged.

Thank you

Ted
Philly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.