Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Front end noise not bearings!

25K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Nick424420 
#1 ·
Need help guys. Searched and searched but did not find anything here. I read on here that you can switch the front bearings from side to side. My TB makes a noise when you are on a curve turning to the right(weight is on the front drivers side). I switched the bearings from one side to the other tonight to see if that was the problem. Still makes the same noise when turning the same direction. What next??? Can it be an axle shaft? Do the axles interchange from side to side? Can I take the axle completely out and run it like that to see if I still have the noise?

#7 ·
some suspension dissasembly is required but if you run without them you might lose some diff fluid and make a mess. Like Roadie said they are interchangeable left to right so You can try that. As for sway bar links groaning I doubt it. More than likely lower control arm bushings but they should make noise in any direction so I'm stumpt without actually driving it.

#8 ·
FWIW: Ive replaced the front wheel bearings/hub assemblies on my 02 Envoy 5x now since I bought the truck in 2004.

Ive had 1 bearing go bad where it makes noise in either direction.

Do not solely use the "swap" diagnosis to rule it out. Just my :m2:

#9 ·
When I had the brakes off last night there is a major sound difference(when spinning the axle) from side to side. The noise on the drivers side sounds like it is coming from the transfer case area. Wondering if that may be the bearing in the case that the cv joint is in?? Thoughts???? Tonight I switched the tires and the rotors from side to side and it is still coming from the drivers side.

#13 ·
Front end noise issue

Hey all, first I want to say thank you for all the posts I've relied on to do a bunch of work on my 02 TB. I have some serious front end noise when I turn to the left. I've replaced the CV axle, the inner and outer tie rod ends, the upper and lower ball joints, sway bar link ends and the wheel bearings on the right side. Also replaced the same with the exception of the CV axle and wheel bearing on the left. the noise got worse so I replaced the needle bearings and seals in the carrier for the right side CV axle.

I'm at a loss for what the noise could be after completing all the replacements that posts suggested.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.