Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Front/rear struts/shocks Replacement Cost?

32K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  vipergg 
#1 ·
Was quoted @ $700 to replace front/rears with Monroe SensaTrac's with alignment....does that sound right? Seems kind of high to me.And I know some will say it's easy to replace, DIY,but I don't have the time/tools/patience to do it myself. Any opinions on the cost est??

#2 ·
Sort of OK. You can check their cost on shocks at summit racing or rockauto web sites. Typically $60-75 each and they don't pass on any wholesale savings on to you. A good shop with a wall-mounted spring compressor is going to take under an hour per side for the fronts, and 15-20 minutes for each rear. Let's say three hours max for labor. And a $60 alignment. You can certainly do the math, and call around for other quotes. If you were in a northern salt-using state, there would be a surcharge for the annoyance of rusted-on fasteners.

#4 ·
Had the first place fax me the estimate (Tire Choice) here's the breakdown. Labor is fine, but seems to me the parts are double.

Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks=$99.99 each=$198.98
Monroe Sensa-Trac Struts=$139.99 ea.=$279.98
Labor=$150

Total=$664.96 plus tax/shop supplies=$704.86

ouch:suicide:

#7 · (Edited)
Go to AAP website and purchase the sensa tracs as a pickup order. Use coupon code DEALIO and break up your order for each side (1 shock and 1 strut). I paid $92 per side for a total of $184. Install the rears yourself as others have mentioned. If you can boil water, you can install shocks. Then find yourself a reputable, honest service location and pay them man hours for the struts. I paid $97 for the installation of the fronts using my existing springs. Done in 2 hours. Total damage was $280. As far as $700, I'd run away as fast as I can. :yes::yes: Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
You can buy the rears much cheaper at Rock Auto, and put them on yourself easily--in only half an hour. That will drop your overall cost significantly, and not take much time out of your day. They do the hard work, you do the easy work. Makes sense to me.

#10 ·
I was just quoted the same price . But looking around i found that monroe sells a quick strut part number 171341 or the cheaper one is a 181341 . They are a compltete unit no need to take apart springs or anything un bolt old bolt in new . has anybody ever used these yet . I found a set of the cheaper one for 180 bucs for the pair free shipping .

#13 · (Edited)
I just replaced my 11 year old original shocks with 68K miles on them.
Replacements were Monroe Quick Struts in the front and Monroe Load Adjusting shocks in the rear.

AdvanceAutoParts Cyber monday offered good prices and free delivery, $510 delivered.
Install was very easy. Ride quality improved big time. Ride became quiter. Going over speed bumps is a breeze. High speed turns, braking, and acceleration were also improved as expected. Very happy with these shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.