Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Battery light stays on?

34K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  wheelieking 
#1 ·
My battery idiot light stays on just slightly even with the key out of the ignition. By slightly I mean it is clearly not triggered to be on because when I turn the key on it is much brighter. With the motor running she is charging at 14v and the batt light is on very dim. The same way with the motor off and keys out. Gerry dim but it's on. Any ideas what to check first?

Thanks
Brad

#3 ·
This happened to me right after I got the ignition switch replaced. The dealer did not adjust something correctly allowing the key to come out and then the switch being allowed to be turned ever so slightly so that it makes some sort of connection, illuminating the light.

Have you had ignition switch issues before or had it replaced recently / ever?

#12 ·
I'm at nearly 150k on my 02 and it still has the original switch :undecided :ugh:

Stick with the OEM one - I remember reading that some of the aftermarkets use smaller contacts which can just make them wear that much faster. Not sure which ones do, so I'd just play it safe.

#14 ·
I'm at nearly 150k on my 02 and it still has the original switch :undecided :ugh:

Stick with the OEM one - I remember reading that some of the aftermarkets use smaller contacts which can just make them wear that much faster. Not sure which ones do, so I'd just play it safe.
Same here!

We must be doing something different than other owners...

#16 ·
I have seen the posts on how to change the key switch. I just didnt find any info on WHY to change it. I was unaware of the symptoms that pointed to a bad switch. As long as it keeps driving this repair is gonna have to wait until after Christmas. The kids and the misses come first. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
That shouldn't be too much of an issue. Mine is a daily driver. I work 6 days a week so she only sits for one day.

Oh BTW mine has just over 140k on the original switch. I guess I have been lucky too considering how many of you have had to change that so often.

Will I need a new key? Or do the tumblers stay and just the electronic switch get changed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.