Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Seat Switch Works/Doesn't Work

Tags
seat switch
102K views 85 replies 59 participants last post by  fixer34 
#1 ·
The Power Seat switch works fine to raise or lower the seat but often will not move the seat back and forth - front to rear or rear to front. It's intermittent so I don't want to chance it taking it to the dealer and having it work fine. Any suggestions?:bonk:

#3 ·
If the motor whines and nothing moves then you have a mechanical problem. I can't imagine doing anything short of pulling the seat out and investigating the motors underneath.

On the intermittent electrical problem - do you have the memory seats, or is the problem just in using the manual control switch on the side of the seat?

Intermittent switches, especially ones that get salt, snow, and water splashed on them like the seat switches do, usually respond well to electronic cleaning spray. Take the switch cover off and spray into the guts while exercising the switch.

It isn't a problem with power or the circuit breaker since the up/down and fore/aft motors use the same power feed.

#4 ·
Same problem here on my 2005 Rainier. The first time it happened, I took it to the dealership and they said 800$ for a new motor. I said ok order the part. When i got into my car to leave the dealership, it worked again. So I called and cancelled the order. It worked for a couple weeks and then quit again. That is when I started playing around with the wire harness and tapping on the motor. Now this has been happening about every three weeks for the past 4 months. Each time I move the seat all the way up and then undo the wire harness and then put it back together. then it works again. i'd really like to be able to resolve this issue w/out paying $800. It wouldnt be such a big deal except my girlfriend usually drives this car. She is short and I am tall. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP?

#5 ·
If wiggling the harness gets it to come and go, you have a chance to troubleshoot it. But you have to have a meter and know how to use it. Find the exact wire involved by careful manipulation. Then get a needle and poke it through the insulation and measure the voltage. Move the wire so the motor fails to work, and poke the needle through various parts of the wire until you find a break or a bad crimp or an oxidized connector.

Yes it's tedious. But you can save $800. And maybe the problem is in your harness and not in the motor and then you'd have wasted $800. Geez - for under $500 on Ebay you can buy a PAIR of power seats and have a BUNCH of motors and switches to sell other people after you fix yours!

#6 ·
I Win

So tonight I decided to take my driver's seat apart after finding out that a new seat frame would be close to $450 from the dealership and that was with me installing it. I got the bottom off after a little bit of wrestling my large hands into tight areas. With that out of place I was able to see if anything was caught in the track that would keep it from moving. I didn't see anything so as a last resort I got a long slotted/straight screwdriver out of my toolbox and slid it down the track underneath the the mechanism that locks the seat into position and something clicked a little and I tried moving the seat and it worked. I don't know if the seat went too far or it got misaligned. Hopefully if someone else has this problem they can try this before they take the seat all apart. If I would have known this I wouldn't have needed to take the seat apart... hindsight is always 20/20.

#19 ·
So tonight I decided to take my driver's seat apart after finding out that a new seat frame would be close to $450 from the dealership and that was with me installing it. I got the bottom off after a little bit of wrestling my large hands into tight areas. With that out of place I was able to see if anything was caught in the track that would keep it from moving. I didn't see anything so as a last resort I got a long slotted/straight screwdriver out of my toolbox and slid it down the track underneath the the mechanism that locks the seat into position and something clicked a little and I tried moving the seat and it worked. I don't know if the seat went too far or it got misaligned. Hopefully if someone else has this problem they can try this before they take the seat all apart. If I would have known this I wouldn't have needed to take the seat apart... hindsight is always 20/20.
I've suffered from this malady for about a year, and tried to use this and other similar techniques with somewhat limited success. I would say about 50% of the time I can move it after sticking a screwdriver in the track and prying up on the silver...I don't know what to call it...part of the seat that moves sort of in the tracks on the front side. But I only get to move it forward (since it's always in the back for me - I'm 6'4") once then back - and it's almost always stuck again.

I've whacked the back of the rails with a hammer and/or a hammer to a flat blade screwdriver positioned against the back of the rails (another suggestion). Less successful, but it works sometimes. But doesn't last, either.

I must be doing something wrong - I stick a long flathead in the side of the front rails all the way back - no click. Same thing but on the bottom of the rail - no click.

OMFG I know I should be able to fix this craptacular design like everyone else - I'd appreciate anyone humbling me by snapping a pic/taking a video of the screwdriver in the position I'm supposed to put it in.

I would be forever grateful. You can even grumble and call me an idiot while you do it...I would gladly, GLADLY be shamed so my wife can drive my TBSS to the store if it's parked behind her. :hail:

#10 ·
Screw Driver does the Trick

Thanks for the post . I had the same problem with my 2002 TB LTZ

Stuck a screw driver under both Silver tabs on the rail and she worked Great!

No if I can figure out why the heat doesn't work. Only the Back heat, not the Butt heat.

Hmmmmm..... Wonder why GM needs bailout money with such superb engineering?

#12 ·
I have a 2003 Envoy that had the same problem. I just posted a note on it an hour ago...then went to work. I removed switch trim, disengaged switch from trim, disengaged electrical connector, and took back off of switch with slim screwdriver. At this point, note which switch is the fore aft switch.
In my case, one of the five little plastic nubs or protrusions of the part that activates the switch had broken off where it engages with switch. I removed broken nub, removed that plastic part, (with the 5 nubs), reversed the position of it so that a new intact nub would align with the switch and re-assembled. Problem solved.
Thank the Lord for the ability to reason and his blessings.
This may not resolve all switch inop. problems, but will certainly be the first place I'll look if it should happen again.
Good luck!

#16 ·
Where are the pieces located on the seat rails

My 2003 Envoy just did this for the first time this morning, but on the passenger seat. I am wondering if my 230 lb kid broke it. The seat goes up/down, but just makes a noise and will not move forward/backward. Where do you stick the screwdrivers and what are you looking for to release the seat and get it moving?

#17 ·
answered my own question

After having time to mess with it, I stuck a long screwdrive up the seat track closest to the console on the passenger side, from the front. I heard a click and the seat began to work fine. Scary to think of what types of vehicles we will end up with when Government Motors really takes over.

#18 ·
Driever side fore/aft intermittent, but diff fix

Have similar issue with driver seat on my 02 TB. Usually mine will not workwhen you try to move the seat without setting in it ( like vacuming etc). I have found that if I start the TB and put it in gear the seat begins to work fore/aft again. The other seat motions work fine regardless, but the fore/aft gig is quirky. I have not tried the screw driver trick.
I have no idea why the putting in gear part would affect the seat ( small jarring maybe), but it works every time.

#20 ·
Seat Switch Repair (save buying a new switch)

I just had an issue with my drivers seat switch (memory buttons still worked), pulled it out and thought i would replace it until i found out the $$. With it out i began to see what could have gone wrong, here is a way that might fix your issue if it is the switch that does not work:

I pulled the switch apart, outer cover off that is and found the 5 slider switches inside. Each switch has approx. 5 tiny plastic nubs and i found that only on nub is used per switch. Happened to be the slider that controled my front to back seat movement had that plastic piece broken off (high quality). Now i took a small screw driver and i was able to remove the slider switch cover and flip it around as the same plastic nubs are on each side, almost like they anticipated them breaking off. Put the switch back together and re-installed it into the car and now it works like new.

hope that helps

#21 ·
Envoy Power Seat Problem

I too had a problem with my power seat. All functions except for forward and reverse worked - I found the problem to be the switch itself. The knob slides the switch back and forth, but there is a tiny "nib" on the switch that fits into a hole on the knob. If you take the switch assembly apart, you'll see what I mean. It's an assembly of several switches, actually. I managed to fix this by disassembling the forward / reverse switch apart, and turning the cover 180 degrees. There are several "nibs", and an undamaged one then lined up with the hole in the knob.:yes:

#22 · (Edited)
Thank you GMC52281!!!!!

:)Thank you GMC52281, for struggling with this obvious problem in GM power seat engineering!! I have not worried about our driver's seat not working, as we are all tall enough to have the seat in the back position, but now I am trying to sell it, and it is a relief to have performed this simple process to fix the problem. I have no idea what would have caused my seat to bind up, but your simple recommendation of taking a flat tip screwdriver and lifting on the front guide mounts did the trick!!! THANK YOU!!!

My seat was stuck in the aft position and I took a a flat tip screwdriver and slid it down the track from the front and gently lifted on the two front silver "riders" that were in the tracks. I did not hear a "pop", but the seat worked after that and is still working. My TB has driver 1 and 2 settings and those work as well!!

Thank you:)

#23 ·
Can't begin to tell everyone how much I am enjoying this site. Today the fore and aft action on my driver's seat ceased to function. I was anticipating a new switch at the very least and a new motor at the worst. Tomorrow I will try both the screwdriver repair and if that doesn't work then out comes the switch to see if a nub has given up the ghost.

The beauty of this is a simple Forum Search which brought up this thread which is exactly what I needed. Was contemplating a Gold upgrade but this is thread will save me so much money I think I will upgrade to Platinum. Thanks to everyone.

Happiness is being a TrailVoy subscriber. Best site by a mile.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#26 ·
The screwdriver trick instant working for me this time. Had before. The seat will go back but wont go forward now for my 5 foot wife. So I'm in trouble.

I can hear the motor click but no go. I can put my hand on the motor and feel it getting warm to touch as I continue to click forward. Finally after continuing clicking forward it must over heat and stops clicking altogether.

Ideas?

Where to find individual parts?

#27 ·
I have to keep a screwdriver in the TBSS - if I pry it up so it moves forward, it will continue to move fore and aft as long as I don't move it all the way back. When it gets to the back, it seems to lock in place.

Problem is, even if I tried to live with that little "workaround", it would eventually hit that spot anyway.

I'd like a more permanent fix...I wonder if taking the seat off would allow me to find something more permanent.

*Sigh*

#28 ·
I agree with the thought that if you move it all the way back it seems to jam the screw or whatever device it uses to move forward. I just set my seat to not go completely back and I haven't had any problems since. I seems to jamb at the very end of travel so if you restrict the travel a little it doesn't seem to bind.

#29 ·
*Me too* Seat stopped moving on Sunday. Got back home, found this thread, stuck the screwdriver into both tracks. No clicks or anything, but the seat started moving again, so I'm happy. I don't mind little quirks, and long as I know what needs tapped on to make it work again.

#30 ·
Can anyone figure out which parts controls the forward and reverse movement of the Drivers seat.

I think there is only one motor (40) to control all the movements of the seat but not quite sure if the forward/reverse is a screw or lever. If we can figure out how it works maybe we can find out why it is binding at the full reverse movement of the seat. (I am assuming that is the only place where the seat seems to jamb, please let me know if it has jammed in other places.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.