Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

P0493 "fan speed"

16K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Estefan 
#1 ·
is this a fan clutch problem? I checked the relay and it was fine. just bought a new fan clutch for $144 and am about to put it in but wanted to know if it could be somthing else first.

-its not making noises and does not over heat

was divinvg about a week ago ago and floored through a yellow light and serv engin soon light came on along with the reduced engin power light (which has never came on befpre). i turned the car off then back on and the check engin light was still on but the reduced engin power light went away and hasnt come back. went to get a scan and P0493 came up and that was all. the car still drives fine but has the original fan clucth at 134,600 miles

#2 · (Edited)
That is about all it could be. You may have got used to the sound of the locked position although your mileage would have started to suck big time.:undecided It won't overheat as it will draw air through the radiator constantly at max capacity. Hence the roar of air when it locks.

I have had mine lock up twice but it never happened again. You will hear the fan roar when it locks up for good or just change it out and your Dexcool at the same time and be done with it.:m2:

#3 ·
fixed "pending"

I replaced the original fan clutch and clearded the engin code so I'm just going to have to wait and see if another code shows up in the next few days. I wasnt looking forward to replacing the fan clutch because I herd all these stories on how its expensive, hard to do, run into other problems, ext. But this was prabably one of the easiest repairs ive ever done, and a little less than $160 for the part tax incuded.. its not bad at all! so anyone reading this dont be affraid of your fan clutch going out. :) if it was easy on an 04 with 134,700 miles, than it should be easy on any trailblazer/envoy

#4 ·
Guess what.. Now I have a p0526 code. I guess this code means the computer can't read the fan at all??? I'm not to sure but I checked the conections and the relay again just in case. Guess I'll just have to take the clutch off and exchange it for another one.

I'm posting this with my I phone. I didn't think it was able to work with this site but it works well.

#6 ·
Same code? p0526? the first code i got was p0493 so I replaced the clutch and about 200miles later the ses came back on and was p0526 which from what I read means bad or no conection to the fan. I havnt changed it out yet because of work and my car does not over heat at all so I'm not too worried about driving it. I will change it out this weekend and let you know how it goes. there are several diffrent codes for the clutch and they all mean some thing diffrent. havce you checked your relay? the relay is the same one as your headlight relay so if you switch to 2 and the headlights dont go on then you know you have a bad relay. it takes only a second to do.

#7 ·
my code is a p1481. The clutch fan I bought apparantly had a defect, or so I thought, so I exchanged it for another one. Same brand. Still getting the same code. p1481. I have heard some bad things about the after market fan clutch I bought. OE Replacement is the brand name. I am going to return it and try a Dorman. I did switch the relays and nothing. The low beams still worked.

#8 ·
same here.

I replaced the fan clutch 2 weeks ago,and had the computer update done,everything was great till yesterday. The new clutch will not disengage ,so the engine roars and the shift pattern has changed due to the excess fan speed.No codes yet but we tested the clutch by disconnecting the connecter then brought the rpm's to about 2500 for a minute or two,and the fan still will not disengage. Got another gm oe clutch and the parts manager told me it has been a on going thing lately with the new revised clutches,the valve gets stuck in the clutch,it is a shot in the dark to get a good one. :bonk: The original clutch never did this to me ,it just did not let the ac get cold when starting or sitting at a light...If this happens again I am just going to put the old one back on and wire in a e-fan as a pusher in the front of the rad and wire it into the ac compressor ,this way it only comes on when the ac is engaged...Gm should have done this in the first place..

#11 ·
Im replacing mine today and will let everone know how it goes. im using a dorman clutch. If this doesnt work, I'm going to the salvage yard next to my friends tint shop. I saw a rolled over trailblazer get towed in there a week ago. I'd rather get a used working one then put up with this

#13 ·
2nd Clutch fan.

Well I installed the second clutch ,took me about 1 1/2 , so far so good does not sound like a jet engine. Going to wait 2 weeks to see if this one does what the first O.E clutch did....If this one does the same going to put the original back on and install a aux ,16 inch fan and wire it into the AC compressor .....so that I have that extra air flow when ac is on........Now I know why GM is in the hole....they don't makr them like they used 2.......

#14 ·
Why

replaced mine today. wasn't able to do it friday due to rain. I'll have to wait and see how this one holds up the next few days. the first time I replaced it, it seemed good untill I floored it and I herd the new clutch click violently. the next day I had a ses light but the clicking went away. so I'm not going to be too disapointed if this one goes out too. Did they make these things cheaper now or somthing??? It's almost hard to find a new one that works it seems.

And who came up with this part anyways? and who thought "that is a great idea! we'll use it in the trailblazer!" if you want to use a clutch.. fine. If you want to use an eletric fan... great. but a eletric fan clutch?!? :hissy: why? why not just an e-fan? they'er better

#16 ·
...then paid local dealer $100 to let computer accept that clutch ...
What made you go to the dealer in the first place? We know about a 2005 software update that improves the fan clutch and AC performance, especially at idle after a start where the coolant temp is low but the cabin is hot and needs maximum cooling.

But I've never heard of a technical issue where the PCM didn't "accept" a replacement clutch and the dealer had a way to fix that. Sounds very odd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.