Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to change transfer case fluid

89K views 100 replies 43 participants last post by  Loverotties 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I know, there has been lots of post on how to change the transfer case fluid. However, I have been searching, and looking for about 20 mins and I can not find any posts on how to do this.:sadcry:

So can anyone point me to the post/thread where there is step by step directions or pictures on how to do this. :thx

#14 · (Edited)
Reinsert the drain plug. Then the fun part where you need to have four arms. In my case I told my son he could not go out until he helped me - I could not believe how interested he was :D

Insert the hose into the top (filler hole), and one end into your oil bottle. It will take two bottles to file the transfer case. While you hold the hose in the bottle with one hand, and make sure the other hose does not fall out with the other, use your other two arms to pump the oil into the transfer case (actually my older son helped at this part).

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Reinsert the upper filler plug and tighten snug. You are now done!:woot:

I started up the vehicle and change from 2HI, to 4Auto, to 4HI, then back to 2Hi. I then drived around a bit, and checked for leaks. No leaks. I will be checking the plugs over the next few days for leaks just to make sure.

The hardest part of the job was getting the upper filler plug out of the transfer case.

It cost me about 16 bucks for the oil, and about 20 for the pump which I will use for other jobs I need to do on the voy.

Hope you like the pictures!

Attachments

#18 ·
To dispose of the oil, I just pour it down the drain!!! Just kidding. I put the used oil in the bottles once empty and save them up. I then take it to my local transfer station (garbage dump) and they have hazard waste disposal. Then dump the oil in the big oil drum they have set up. It cost me nothing to do that (yet).

Also, you only need a 3/8 inch alan key (SAE Hex Key). I bought a 13 piece set a few years ago, not very expensive.

#21 ·
Homemade Pump

Yea I saw that pic awhile back too, been trying to find it but it's damn near impossible to find. Don't really want to buy one b/c I can just do the fluid changes in one day and I'll just throw it out when I'm done. So if anyone knows how to make one it'd be a BIG help.

#22 ·
The pump makes your life a lot easier. I bought this one from harbor freight. Its only $5.99, and I thought I would never use it again, but I did. Made the transfer case filling a breeze. By the time you end up making something, you are out the time you spent. Not to mention taking the chance on losing fluid somehow, which isn't cheap. For $5.99 you can't go wrong!

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1800.jpg

#28 ·
The pump makes your life a lot easier. I bought this one from harbor freight. Its only $5.99, and I thought I would never use it again, but I did. Made the transfer case filling a breeze. By the time you end up making something, you are out the time you spent. Not to mention taking the chance on losing fluid somehow, which isn't cheap. For $5.99 you can't go wrong!

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1800.jpg
That pump also comes in real handy for the differentials and pumping out most of the trans fluid. Makes changing the trans fluid and filter a lot less messy. :m2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.