Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How do i reset Service Engine Soon light?

44K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Pau Hana 
#1 ·
I have an 03 Trailblazer. Someone stole my gas cap, not sure how long it was gone...a day or two maybe. I bought an autozone cap to replace.

Light came on for a few days then went away. Did same thing a week later. A week after that it came on and has been on for three weeks. The truck is driving fine, no different from before.

I bought an OEM cap from Chevy, 5 days ago. No change. I just want the light to turn off.

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
If cap is on tight, it will take 3-4 driving cycles before the light goes off by itself. Only other way is to hook to a code reader that can erase codes. Maybe the AutoZone will do it for you.

#3 ·
I called Autozone and asked if they could...I was told that if I have SES and Check Engine light, and both aren't on, then they can't reset just the SES light.

He said it means the vehicle has reached some sort of milestone (either miles or years).

On a side note, I search the internet for an answer and found; with truck off and key in ignition, tap brakes 3 times. That didn't work either.

#4 ·
You should probably go to Autozone after all. It could just be a coincidence that the gas cap was stolen, and the SES light came on. Autozone could tell you exactly what the SES code is throwing and if it is the gas cap, then that error code will come up. Also, I had to go to Autozone in the past and used their scan tool. I wanted to erase the code to turn the light off. The rep at Autozone said that "I can't erase the code, but if you do it, that's up to you". So, you may have to erase the code yourself with their scan tool. Which is merely pressing the erase button, but know to ask them, or they may try and send you away without having the light turned off.

Of course...... make sure you know what the code is before erasing it. It's free to have it checked out at stores like Autozone and Advance. It might turn out to be something bigger then just the gas cap. :m2:

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.