Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Steering Leak from boot cover

44K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  stopher2 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I've been battling a power steering leak for about a month now.

Leak was always making a puddle under the driver side tire.

Finally had time to degrease and wash out the area to inspect wear this leak is coming from.

It is coming from a boot cover that is connected very close to wear the stearing wheel is connected to.

Attached are some pics.

I would like to know if anyone has run into this problem. Can I just turn the boot upside down for a temp fix? What is the correct fix.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes...Loosing about a 1/2 quart a day for the past week.

I just took the boot off. There was a platic cup (don't know if this is the seal) that was broken into two peices. Attached pic.

I'll check around for more info in regards to replacing the rack.

Thanks Again..

Attachments

#4 ·
If the rack is leaking, most likely you'll have to replace the whole rack and pinion. I'm doing mine right now, I bought a reman. rack on Ebay for about $100. Going pretty easy getting the old rack out. New rack comes tomorrow with UPS. Dealer wanted $900 to replace.

#5 ·
The white plastic cup is a dust shield only to keep dust that gets past the bellows from getting on the polished shaft and damaging the real high pressure seal. Rebuilding racks is a difficult job, so that's why it's easy and relatively cheap to buy remanufactured ones to slap in.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input.

I found a lot of rack issues in the posts, but I can't find any instructive/how to posts.

How difficult is this going to be? Any pointers/ideas on where to start? About how long will this take? Anything in particular I should be watching out for? Will I need a re-alignment afterward?

I had turned the boot upside down yesterday to prevent much of the PS fluid from leaking, but the boot must have finally filled up (24 hrs later) and is starting to leak again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
I just got done installing my new rack tonight, If you can change your own oil, you can change a rack and pinion. You have to remove the front and back crossmember, 16 bolts, disconnect the intermediate shaft coupler, remove p/s lines, remove tie rod ends from steering knuckles, and 2 bolts hold up the rack, you have to hold on to the nuts with a deep 21mm socket that hold the rack on. If you buy yourself a Haynes manual, it's all in there. If you need any more help just ask and yes you need an alignment when your done. and took me about 6 hrs taking my time to do.

#8 · (Edited)
replacement from 5.3v8 ext 2003

hi guys,
I have the same problem -leaking fluid from driver side boot
1. Is power steering from 5.3v8 ext 2003 model will fit mine 4.2 2004 SWB?
2. Also I can buy repair kit 26089593 but I am not sure is this include high pressure seal(on GM digram is number 7)?
3. Is it wotrh it to buy used one?
4. What type of universal fluid I can use to top up in the time being?
thanks

#9 ·
Hi,
I decided to repair my PS in my local garage(not special PS repairer).
I am going to buy spare parts to do this(listed below).

Please confirm is this all or I need other parts to complete regeneration.

26089593 BOOT KIT (on GM diagram no.3,4,5)
26088111 RING (on GM diagram no.7)
26032824 BEARING KIT (on GM diagram no.15,16,17)

Thanks
qki

#10 · (Edited)
2003 TB LS Ext 5.7l - front end rattle

one afternoon, i changed the passenger:
upper ball
lower ball
sway tie
CV half axle
4wd hub

AND I still have a rattle on the passenger side.

I see dripping from the steering rack/pinion boot. It looks like oil AND some water.
I expect I need to change the passenger inner tie rod.
What's with the water ?

Any advice or steps on this. I havn't done one of these yet.

thanks,

chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.