Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

17" wheel and tires. How much do they weigh? Ship them home or sell them?

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  superman_79065 
#1 ·
I need to ship my 17" wheels and tires from Arizona back to Rapid City and I was trying to guesstimate how huch they weigh and I think they are probably about 75 lbs each. I can get a 40% UPS shipping discount from my uncle so I am trying to get the regular prices for shipping online before I take them to his warehouse to ship them out. If I remember correctly it is cheaper if they are boxed up with one in each box as long as it does not go over 70 lbs. But does anybody know if it costs more if they are not boxed, and how much my 17" stock tires and 17" chrome rims might weigh? Unless somebody wants to purchase them from me before I ship them back then I will just ship them to you. I do have an ad posted in the classified but the price is more negotiable now? Here is a picture of the wheels. I can't remember the brand.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a set of five tires and rims, mounted - from Texas to San Diego. At about 90 pounds each (oversize). Shipping was included in the price, but I expect it was less than $200. They palletized them up, covered with palletizing plastic sheet wrap, and used truck freight. Had to go to my day job business address with a dock. I can't see any other way to get a reasonable price.

On your other question - just call the UPS customer support folks and ask their advice. They want your business.

#3 ·
i have seen them shipped both ways... more so they just cover the rim in cardboard and run straps through the rim and around the tire and ship it liek that... that would be easier i think then getting boxes that are big enough for them to fit in... and its cheaper to ship 1 box at 30 pounds then 2 boxes at 15... but in urcase they will have to be shipped individual... plus by just wraping the rim they will roll it more and not have to worry about them flipping th ebox onto the floor... :m2:

#4 ·
:iagree: - Best way to ship.. Tirerack.com and Tires.com does it this way..

I usually just get a few empty boxes and cut them into circles and cover the front and back of the wheels and then wrap them in Good quality packing tape. I have shipped 4 sets of wheels this way and no damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.