Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Changing Brake Fluid

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jackedupcanyon 
#1 ·
OK so recently I have noticed as I push the brake pedal in it almost feels like the brake lines are expanding. I am sure thats not the case but I am trying to best explain the feeling, almost like a tickingas it goes further down. So I am thinking A)bleed brakes or B)replace brake fluid. Any other ideas? Also anyone have a good procedure to replace the fluid completely?

Thanks Nate

#2 ·
I dont think Ive seen a procedure for removing completely...
Some shops will use some machine that does this I think..

But most of us will bleed the brakes until the dark fluid begins to come out clearer. (and refilling the reservoir to make sure it doesnt go low and suck in air.

Either you do it by having a helped step on the brake while you open the bleeder screw-- or you buy one of those kits for 1 man brake bleeds.

#3 ·
IMO a complete job of bleeding the brakes will be a complete fluid change. Remove all the old fluid from the reservoir. Refill with new fluid. Then bleed all the wheels starting with rear pass. side, rear dr. side, front pass. side and finish with front dr.side. Make sure the res. does not get sucked empty. I replaced all the bleeder screws on my Voy with Speed Bleeders. Now I can do the bleeding without any assistance.:m2:

#4 ·
^^^^ Exactly. One man operation, simple, easy, and not even expensive. Just don't get brake fluid on paint. It will make the paint go away in short order.

One other thing -- don't get excited about super high performance brake fluid. Just use the recommended type in a good name brand. Brake fluids DO NOT play well together and mixing types is the fastest way to replacing your entire system there is.

#5 ·
Motive Power Bleeder

apexperformance.net

motive power bleeder
Item Qty Price Total
#0108 - GM/Late Model (1991+) & 2005
GM Bleeder: #GMBleeder
Brake Bleeder $58.46

This item was used to change the brake fluid on my TB 2003

It was posted here and I bought one. Works perfectly fine and it makes the fluid change a one man show.

Jesse1

#7 ·
Wheel order in bleeding or fluid change is worked that way because it starts with the farthest point from the master cylinder, then works back to the closest point. Otherwise, a trapped air bubble could work its way back into one of the corners. This wouldn't have to be an issue if you are just replacing the fluid, but it seems to work out best.

#8 ·
Have personally done it both way on several different vehicles without a problem. The key is keeping the reservoir from running empty. Maybe I am a rare case or just been lucky, who knows. Will do furthest to closest from now on. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.