Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Tailgate won't open

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tblazed 
#1 ·
The tailgate won't open on my 02 Envoy. It was working off n on if the key fob worked then it opened. Also using the unlock switch on door about 10 times it would finally open. Now neither work. When driving u can hear it switching like the door isn't shut all the way. How do I get it open?:(

#2 ·
Sounds almost like a bad ground to the LGM (lift gate module) which is inside the tailgate...so it will require you to open it.

I don't have the info on getting it opened right now; probably won't until Monday :worried: Sorry!

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more info before then ;)

#3 ·
Thanks. That's what I was wondering if I have to get the gate open before anything can be done. I may never have it open hahahah. You would think there would be a manual latch in back for things like this or maybe even emergency exit.

#4 ·
On the inside there should be a plug in a hole about 1.5" dia on the rear plastic panel down at the the bottom in the center where it bulges out a little, that covers the latch. You can pop out that plug and manually release the latch to get it open. Not sure how it works haven't had to do that!

#5 ·
Thanks, I was able to get the hatch open. By the time I did that it got dark and cold so I will save it for later when I get in the mood to mess with it. Now that I can get the door open and remove the panel what do I look for (Liftgate module) and how will I know if its bad ??? :yes:

#6 ·
Does anything else in the liftgate work? Lights, wiper? Might start by checking the wiring from the top of the liftgate where it goes through a rubber boot. They occasionally break there. Two orange should have battery + voltage, black ground, Light Blue is the Class 2 serial data to the liftgate module, brown is park lamp supply to the license plate lights. Or might disconnect the battery and pull the boot out to unplug the harness in the roof and check continuity of each wire. And check all the liftgate module plug connections for problems or corrosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.