Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

whining noise when accelerating

98K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  chem_man 
#1 ·
I got a whining noise when accelerating. Seems to go up and down with rpms. When the rpms cut back when it changes gear the sound goes lower then rises again with the rpms. I checked trans fluid and power steering fluid both good. Its almost like the sound of low power steering fluid. Any ideas?

#3 ·
it could be anything on the drive belt, I had the whine since my '03 was new and someone suggested changing the idler pulley,which i did a few years back to no avail, so I just kinda lived with it all these years until last week when I put in a new power steering pump..........the sound of silence, oh how sweet it its

#5 ·
Im experiencing the same thing. I picked up a new idler pulley Friday after reading multiple threads and searching on here for answers. Hopefully thats the fix because its freakin annoying. Ive put up with it for about a month and a half now and Ive had enough.

Fan is a bit loose though so wondering if it could be that. I didnt see where there was a "fan replacement" how to or anything. Any help on this guys or input????

#6 ·
Fans get loose because they're attached to the water pump, whose shaft bearing can fail. Search for "water pump replacement" instead.

A search for "fan replacement" just now showed a Stickie thread about water pump replacement as hit #12. That's about as good as you get with the standard trailvoy search engine.

#8 · (Edited)
When the rpms cut back when it changes gear the sound goes lower then rises again with the rpms.
Take the serpentine belt off and turn on the car for a few seconds. Does it still make the noise? If it doesn't then you have an accessory on the front of the engine going out. Rotate each pulley and check for play or binding in the bearings.

For instance, I took the belt off and tried to spin the tensioner pulley but it wouldn't spin because the bearings were dry. I replaced the belt tensioner and now no more noise. But it could be any of the pulleys in the front of the engine making this sound.

#16 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

This is a dead thread.

The best thing you can do would be to start a brand new thread letting us know what the problem is, the year, engine, model (ext or not), mileage and any and all OBDII codes that were pulled from the ECM.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.