Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rear caliper bolts - HOW TO GET THEM OFF?!!?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ieatglue 
#1 ·
I've read that people use breaker bars and heat the bolts up. I have no way to heat them so where the hell do you fit a breaker bar in there? It's so tight, even with the main caliper off and the pads out. I broke an impact socket on the bolt it's so tight.

Is there some sort of loctiteish solution on these bolts causing them to be so hard to remove or is it just from rust/not being touched for 50 thousand miles?

:thx

#3 ·
Do you mean Caliper bolts or Caliper Bracket bolts??

MY Caliper bolts came off easy with the help of 2 wrenches. One to hold the pin steady, the other to lossen the bolt. As for the Brackets, Mine where on tight.. I used a 18mm wrench and a 3lbs sledge. Put the wrench on and hit it with the sledge. Came loose after 2 hits. GM uses a crap load of locktite on the bracket bolts.

#5 ·
I broke a damn impact socket (18mm) on the first one I tried. I ended up putting all the old stuff back on and just am going to get it done. I could NOT get it off, I even tried rust eater and stuff on it.

I hate to give up...but, I just couldn't free the ****ers.

I had a 5 pound sledge and a breaker ratchet.

#6 ·
What I sometimes do is, using a ratcheted socket, slide the ratchet onto the bolt and bring it do to where it's almost horizontal, then I wedged a bat between the chassis and over the ratchet and pushed down on it :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.