Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

driver door module problems

75K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  tropicdave173 
#1 ·
hey guys i have had a problem with my drivers side door. it is completely dead. all the fuses are good and i cant figure out that it could be i checked the connections and there are all good. a friend of mine said that it could be one of the body modules. i don't know what they are and don't know where they are. could he be right and does anyone have any info on them!

#2 ·
Could be the DDM - the Driver's Door Module, just under the switches. Pry it out, swap with the passenger side module for an experiment. Very high failure rate if you get it wet a lot.

How did you check ALL the connections if you didn't pry the DDM out to check its connectors for power? What exactly do you mean by "checked the connections"? Do you also have a meter to check for power at the module?

#3 ·
OK you are right i didn't use a meter but i did check with a tester in the spring. (don't remember the out come) it is just cold out and i am waiting for the weather to break. i know i was getting power to the main connector that is in between the door and the frame.

i did get a used ddm and it worked for a while but was cutting in and out then died. i thought that that was the problem so i got a brand new one and that didn't work. also from what i was told the new ones have to be reprogrammed by the dealer so that is that.

#4 ·
Wish you had shared all that detail before my first reply.

So what's the problem taking your new module (which you must have paid real money for) and getting the dealer to program it? It's only ten minutes work, and they can't ALL be ripoffs, can they? Have you called any for prices?

#5 ·
well why yes i did pay for it with real money. if it is really important, i got it from gmpartsdirect.com and i work 6 days a week during the hours that dealers are open and cant get to them to let the help me out. one quote i got was for some reticules price of like 600 to put a new ddm in. 350 for the part and 250 to put it in.

i am just curious to know why you or someone changed my title to my post.

#7 ·
It was probably changed due to the initial information about the door being dead. The BCM is different than the DDM so the change in title was for future search purposes, however, now that you've provided information regarding installing a used DDM and it dying, it could very well be something else causing the issue, which is why Roadie would have liked that information in your first post before he replied with info you already addressed.

#6 ·
Verify that your passenger door module is working. Then, swap that
out with the driver's door module. If that fails to work in the driver's
door, stop looking at the module, and focus on the wiring *to* the module.

The new module may not work because of that reprogramming issue. The
used one may have worked initially because you were working with the
wiring. Have you looked through the wiring harness to make sure
there's not a bad connection/broken wire someplace? Check for corrosion
on the connectors? Verify supply voltage to the module as well as a decent
ground.

The used module may have also been damaged, but less so than your
existing module. Swapping with a working one from the passenger door would
narrow down possibilities.

Good Luck!

Chris

#11 ·
Well , that narrows things down pretty well... :)

Others have had problems with moisture getting in
to the driver's door module, so it's possible that yours
was another victim. It's also possible that yours just went
bad and the used one you got was damaged.

For the prices you were quoting from your stealership,
it might almost be worth taking a chance on another
used module, at least for now. You could then plan out
a time to swap the new unit in and get it reprogrammed.

You'd still have a spare if something went sideways again. ;)

Cheers-

Chris

#15 ·
Heh... The Roadie is always right...and if there's something he doesn't know,
he'll track it down and even give you the theory behind the operation.

Take a look at some of the mods on his 'voy. What I wouldn't have done
to have something like that on my old S10 when I was doing field work.

Not trying to suck up... some people are just *that* good!

Glad you have a solution, mac350!

Cheers-

Chris

#16 ·
2006 gmc envoy

my driver's door module went 6 months ago - have had one on order since then, just came in today. I did switch my passenger's side module in temporarily and it worked. Then I started having a whole series of other problems that I am told are probably related, lights dimming, no power, battery died, starter went, problems with my heater - have replaced wheel bearings, tyrod ends, rear wiper motor, windshield washer pump,,,it just goes on and on. now my fuel gauge isn't working, and i get random messages on my display - I love this car but it has been a money pit!

can anybody offer any advice?

#27 ·
DDM Problem

Having problems with my driver side door controls as well. Mirror works, but driver side power door locks and driver side window do not. The radio also turns off as soon as I turn off the ignition (as opposed to when I open the driver side door as it should).

Fuses are all fine, so I swapped the DDM with the passenger side module as suggested and it works fine (the passenger module works on the driver side door), leading me to believe its not the wiring, but rather a bad DDM.

So, if I have this right, I need to replace the DDM. However, if I order one on line and do it myself, I still need to go to the dealer to get it programmed? Is this right?

Also, I had the driver side window motor replaced by the dealer about a month ago. Any chance my problem is related to something they did or is it likely coincidence?

Thanks

#28 ·
My son left both the front window open last weekend (prom) and it rained. (2003 Envoy AWD, 4 door)

He was able to put them up, but now the whole drivers side unit (DDM) is dead (nothing works). Is there a fuse associated with this module or is the module dead?

Any reply would be GREATLY appreciated....

Bob.

#29 ·
It's almost always the module. They love to burn up internally and not blow a fuse. You might recover it by prying it out, disassembling it, and drying it with a hair dryer or in the sun. Rumor is that so many of them continue to die that they're on national backorder with GM, and junkyards are jacking up the prices since they know they have a scarce commodity.

#30 ·
Thanks for your quick reply :)

Not to beat a dead horse, but IS there a fuse associated with just the driver DDM and where is it located (can't hurt to check it if there is one...)

The units appear "sealed". Taking it apart require "cutting" it open? (I already have it separated from the frame....).

Should I try to swap in the passenger to make sure its not something else?

Again, appreciate the response :)

Bob.

#31 ·
Mine is an '07 TBSS. I have recently (last month or so) been having problems that I cannot find in this thread but definitely seem associated with the DDM. The driver's heated seat (base only) turns on by itself (fun here in Houston with 100+ temps) but is able to be turned off manually. All the switches still work most of the time, although there have been times where the drivers window rolls back up really slow (I know the regulators in these are inferior) and others where the switches won't work at all but only for a few minutes. Also, I have had a few occasions where the windows will roll up or down on their own as well. No issues with mirrors, memory seats or the heated seat back. Any ideas? I am under GM Major Guard warranty but all the dealers say they have to replicate the problem, this could take hours of just idling or driving it, not something I want them to do.

#32 ·
06' TB Dead Driver Side Door Module (DDM)

OK, so I know that there are a lot of post on this topic. I am having this same problem, I pulled the DDM out and I can see where the plastic is burned at the top towards the window locks so I'm thinking that its just the Module nothing else, I tried to replace it with the passenger door's module and nothing still happens. My problem is that I am stationed in Germany and there is no one here to take it to to look at it. I know that I need to replace the DDM you can smell/see the burnt plastic its not brain surgery but if I have to replace the wire's in the door how much of a task is this gonna, be also where can I order a replacement DDM please help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.