Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Resetting the "service brake system" message

74K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bobbycave 
#1 ·
I got this message about the same time my e-brakes failed. I've replaced front and rear pads and the e-brakes. The warning message (and that irritating dinging noise) is still there.

I've tried pulling off the battery leads...and the radio didn't even lose its presets, much less reset the message. Brake fluid level is good. Everything seems to be working correctly. So...does anyone know how to reset this message?

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the response, Blazernut. I can't say for certain that I had the battery lead off for 20 minutes. I'll have another go at that.

There is another factor to weigh in, but as it's been an issue for several months, I didn't think it would be related. I had a bad wheel bearing, and had a shop replace it. When we got it back, the ABS light was on. The shop manager said his mechanic didn't get the sensor out of the old hub, and we'd have to come back in to get a new one.

I'll spare you the rest of the details going back-and-forth with that shop, but regardless...the ABS light was on for a few months, then my current issue started recently, with the red brake light in the display and the "service brake system" message. I assumed these were separate warnings, but perhaps they're related.

#4 ·
The only two inputs that cause that message (that I've read about in the shop manual) are the ebrake switch and the fluid level sensor.

You can pull the connector from the master cylinder sensor to see if it's the cause - pulling the connector should mean the same as a full reservoir.

Then pull the connector off the back of the ebrake lever - the wire is a light blue.

#6 ·
C. B. - I'll try that reset. Really looking forward to getting rid of all the dinging noise on startup.

Roadie - I tried the switch on the master cylinder, but will try the switch on the e-brake lever. Thanks. BTW, what shop manual do you use?

I didn't think I was going to get a response to this...I really appreciate all the input today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.