Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Front end gear noise

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MichEnvoyBoy 
#1 ·
2007 TB 37,000 miles, just started to notice a gear (whine like) noise coming out of the front end. You can feel a buzzing sensation in the steering wheel at 55 MPH, you can't feel anything with the car parked going through various RPM's, so I think it's safe to rule out the P/Steering pump. It's not tires because it doesn't change noise on different pavements............Any insite as to what to check and best method to check ?????? If it's wheel bearings, is that covered in the powertrain warranty ??????

Thanks all,

#2 ·
Are you sure it is gear noise, and not a front hub bearing.

Do a search for "hub bearing" and read the threads. They will explain how to diagnose this condition.

Can't answer your warranty question with authority, but it sounds doubtful to me. But if you are the original owner, and noticed the noise before 36k and you only have 37k miles now, well, I suspect that you can get the dealer to take care of it for you.

#3 ·
It sounded like a gear whine sound............never the less. Problem resolved, called dealer, said he'd take care of it, no charge. Dealer service tech said it was a front hub bearing..................I'm happy.................:):):)

#5 ·
In talking to the service tech, he mentioned that the biggest killer for these is sudden impacts........aka those :x:x:x pot holes we have around here the size of a west coast sink hole. I've hit my share of those this past winter and that may have helped to shorten it's life span............

#6 ·
Well, I don't buy it. :nono: If potholes were the cause of hub bearing failures, most of the cars in the Midwest would be in the shop for new hub bearings in the spring. :yes:

The bearings on our trucks are pretty stout units. They are designed to absorb the impact from hitting potholes and to keep on turning.

My suspicion is that metallurgically there have been some corners cut, or quality control isn't what it should be. In my opinion those are the two most likely candidates. But of course neither the dealer nor the mechanic nor the service folks are very likely to give you those answers. Much better to blame the customer or to blame our governments' lack of road and highway maintenance.

#7 ·
Well put and good point....

Personally I don't care at this stage, damage is done from what ever the cause and as long as it's not coming out of my pocket, I'm a happy camper :thumbsup:

#8 ·
If it's wheel bearings, is that covered in the powertrain warranty ??????
I know this is a few months old, but....

This is covered under the powertrain warranty up to 100k. I read the warranty certificate that I got with mine, and it states that the hub bearings are a part of the powertrain.

I have the same problem with mine (58k), just haven't had time to take it in to get replaced.

#9 ·
My OEM pass. side hub lasted 95,000 miles. I am replacing it again (already) at 115,000. Crappy aftermarket parts! :hissy:

I replaced my OEM driver side the other day, it was still in good shape. Why did I replace it then you ask? I couldnt figure out which side was bad and assumed it was my drivers side, since it was original. I was wrong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.