Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Broken Ignition Coil Bolt

18K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Aaron143 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience or advice on how to remove a broken ignition coil bolt (cylinder 6). It snapped while I was installing the new coil. Is the bolt required for grounding? If not, could I just place some gasket sealant around the flange of the coil and call it a day?

#4 ·
How much of the bolt is in the head? Do you have any threads remaining that you can use a shorter bolt?

Was the motor cold when you did this? Not to beat a dead horse but just make sure that any coil/plug R&R make sure motor is stone cold...helps alot to prevent stripping/breaking of hardware.

#5 ·
It's hard to tell but it feels like the bolt broke flush. There were no threads remaining on the bolt when I removed it from the coil.

I didn't know that. The engine wasn't stone cold when I attempted to replace the coil but it wasn't super hot either. It was approximately 45 minutes after a 7 or 8 mile trip.

Like eyring2210 stated, the truck appears to be running fine with the new coil not bolted down so there doesn't appear to be any grounding achieved through this fastener. Just a little shake present that might become a problem down the road. That and the fact that now water can make its way in by the plug.

#6 ·
I broke the screw on a coil pack. It broke flush with block so I had to get a screw extractor to get it out.
Now, I have a broken screw still in the coil pack itself. These screws are made to stay in the coil pack and not slide out so you don't lose them.

Anyone know how to get that screw out?

#7 ·
Update,
found on another thread in here that you just have to by a new coil pack. So, went to AutoZone and bought a $72 one (had a $20 coupon).

Lesson learned: LIGHTLY tighten the coil pack back onto the block...it's only purpose is to hold a seal and keep moisture/debris out.

#8 ·
Broken coil bolt

I broke the bolt as well, I turned the coil back upside down and took a screw driver and punched it out. Took it to the hardware store and found a bolt to match up. Bolt went in hard because of the notch in the coil pack. but it worked, it cost 85 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.