Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Bell Housing Bolts

20K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  cconzen 
#1 ·
does anybody know of a trick or tip to get the upper bellhousing bolts out theres no room

#2 ·
Are you removing the motor or trans? If your removing the trans; Disconnect the exhaust pipe, Put a support under the back of the trans, Remove the trans support, Lower the back of the trans. You should be able to get to the top bolts. Good luck, those things a heavy.

#4 ·
Support the transfer case if applicable, or the back end of the transmission, disconnecting the exhaust and removing the rear drive axle, you can lower the jack down quite a bit. It gives plenty of room to get at the bolts, provided you have a lot extensions and a swivel. You will also want to have your cooling fan removed and anything else that would get in the way. It took me about 5 minutes to get all the bolts out. Note, leave the engine mounts attached and they will allow things to pivot perfectly. I later reattached the tranny crossmember and moved the jack to the front to support it as I removed the engine.

Good luck. It was the easiest engine swap I've ever done. It took me less than two days from starting it until I was driving it away (including at least 1 hour diagnosing a bad MAP sensor on the new (barely used) engine).

#5 ·
I know that this thread has probably already been resolved, but for those doing future searches for this topic, find one of these Snap On locking extensions.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=12922&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

They are 1/2" drive on the ratchet wrench end and 3/8" drive on the socket end. The socket locks onto the extension so it doesn't fall off. The tool will easily reach from the rear of the transmission to the bell housing bolts.

I wouldn't be without this tool! It is a lifesaver for doing any sort of transmission work.

#7 ·
I'm currently replacing the transmission in my 2004 Buick Rainier. Once the transfer case was off, and the transmission crossmember and mount were removed (with a jack supporting the transmission), I used an extra long Craftsman 3/8" drive extension that reached the full length of the transmission housing to get the bolts out.

Fun part, of course, will be getting the rebuilt tranny IN...:worried:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.