Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rear Hatch and Glass won't open

74K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Gremlin X 
#1 ·
Help please.

My glass on the hatch won't open at all. Pushing thre button does nothing. It will not pop like it normally does. Is there anyway to open the glass without taking it to a dealer?

#2 ·
Are you sure the car is unlocked, just to eliminate that problem... It could be the Liftgate Control Module in the liftgate or it could also be a bad locking cylinder. In our TB you have to press the unlock button on the fob 3 times to get the rear window to unlock.

#5 ·
I need the glass to open to remove the rear panel on the inside correct?
Probably. On mine, there's a hole in the plastic for a screw to hold the panel in place right by the window latch, but that screw is missing for me. The rest of it is held on by clips, you may be able to pull the bottom piece down (when the lift gate is up) enough to be able to see in there with a flashlight.

#8 ·
Mine would do the same thing whenever I was on uneven terrain, or getting to an offroad site. I have no idea what used to make it do that, but it was always after being unlevel. I once opened all the doors, and then slammed them shut; then my liftgate worked.

I have no idea if I fixed it, or how. Hasn't done it since though.

#9 ·
Mine did the same thing, except I could still open the lift gate. Take the inside plastic panel off the lift gate. It just snaps off, you don't need to open the window to do this. Then use your fob to lock and unlock the doors and watch the lock mechanism to see what its doing. The housing for the button on mine got very corroded over time. That prevented it from snapping back in place, which in turn prevented the window lock from going to the correct position when it was supposed to be unlocked. Its held on with a clip. I took it apart and cleaned it, and stretched out the spring a little bit. It works fine now. I'm not sure what would cause your lift gate not to open, but you may see something when you pop the cover off.

#13 ·
when everyone says to open it "manually" by popping it open using the little port hole....how??? Anyone have picks. My Haynes doesnt show me a damn thing. Mine has been frozen shut of a few months now. I have no idea how to get it open because I don't know what to hit in there to break it loose.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not at the truck, so I'm trying to remember exactly. I think that, looking into the access port, you can see what you want to actuate on the right with a metal rod rising up from a joint/hinge. You want to pry upwards to force the locking mechanism open.

Hit everything in there with PBlaster first and let it sit a while. Guaranteed there's plenty of rust and crud resisting you.

"Emergency Release for Opening Liftgate
1. Remove the trim plug to expose the access hole in
the trim panel.
2. Use a screwdriver to reach through the access hole in
the trim panel.
3. Pry the left release lever up to the unlock position.
Pry the right release lever up to unlatch the liftgate.
4. Reattach the trim plug."

IIRC, the left and right seemed backwards, like the locking mechanism was on the right looking in, and the tailgate latch was on the left.

#15 ·
Help - Can't get into the back at all

Mine started acting up a few weeks ago. At first, the glass would at least open. Now neither the liftgate nor the window will open. I can lock and unlick the truck many time and sometimes the window will open once but then it's baclk to mqalfunctioning. I was just getting groceries both times so I do't think it has anything to do with uneven roads. It has been really hot lately though.

#16 ·
Mine started acting up a few weeks ago. At first, the glass would at least open. Now neither the liftgate nor the window will open. I can lock and unlick the truck many time and sometimes the window will open once but then it's baclk to mqalfunctioning. I was just getting groceries both times so I do't think it has anything to do with uneven roads. It has been really hot lately though.
Mine did the same thing last year. There is a bar inside the panel running from your bottom hatch locking mechanism up to the window lock. It is threaded with a plastic coupling on it. Sometimes it needs adjusted. My lift gate was stuck shut and I tried using the port hole to pop it open...no go. Had to use a dremel and cut a huge hole in the rear panel and beat it open. Soaked it with PB Blaster and pried on it until it popped open. Then removed the panel and adjusted the rod. Coated it heavily with lithium greese and worked the action to make sure i got an good coating. From what I could see salt and water had rusted the hell out of the rear hatch lock and caused the rod to slip a little in the coupling. its an easy fix once you get the panel off. You'd be surprised how a minor tweak in the length could make a difference. Im guessing yours is off my a little and the push pin is barely missing the striker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.