Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

4.2L Headers

74K views 170 replies 45 participants last post by  The Neens 
#1 ·
Here at Kooks custom headers we are striving to bring the absolute best products to the market. As part of that process we are always looking for what the next product should be.I would like to gauge the interest in a Stainless header for the 4.2L I6. I would like as much input from you as possible.

(Mods please add a poll interested Yes No)

#3 · (Edited)
I know myself and at least 5 people that would jump on a header as the factory headers suck and crack.. With nobody else making aftermarket headers for the trailblazer ll8 i6 motor you would have a hold over the whole market for this suv and the other 5 suv's that use the ll8 i6 motor.

please make this happen!

#4 ·
I doubt very seriously you will find any interest. There is a lot of talk about buying headers but when somebody gets something together to do a group buy it falls through due to nobody wanting to shell out the money.

The majority of the people who own these vehicles use them for their family cars and aren't willing to put out that kind of money for their family car.

#5 ·
make a header and out sorce it to china to be replicated!! iv notice this forum is slow and mostly coving oem issues with very little aftermarket support for anything!

Maybe post a facebook/ twitter pole as more people will see it!

I know im not the only 1% that would love to pickup a header for my daily as its got no balls compaired to my 96 supra and thats just a 3 litre i6!!

#6 · (Edited)
In the original application - maybe 5% of the owners would be interested - mainly to solve the cracked manifold issue.

Providing proof by dyno testing is going to be key to getting an audience - this is where Stainless Works failed. Out priced what the market would bear and provided no proof.

There is a growing following for the 4200 - it is getting swapped into other vehicles - in particular:

-1949 - 54 chevrolet cars and trucks (GMC too)
-late model Toyota FJ's
-Jeeps

Link to a CJ swap

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=98739

and true hot rods 32 ford's etc.. not rad rods but high end full builds.

In engine swap applications a header will be well received.

#8 · (Edited)
For real? - There has been talk before, but nobdy ever delivered. It was usually left that we'll consider making one, if we get say 25 people to pre-order and pay, with no not even a proto-type in existance to indicate if there were any real world gains over the stock manifold. Has Kooks actually looked into something for the 4200/I6 engines or are we still at the vaporware stage with no so much as a test mule fitted?

I doubt very seriously you will find any interest. There is a lot of talk about buying headers but when somebody gets something together to do a group buy it falls through due to nobody wanting to shell out the money.

The majority of the people who own these vehicles use them for their family cars and aren't willing to put out that kind of money for their family car.
Of course the problem with getting people to step up was the fact that in each of the isolated instances, there wasn't so much as a prototype nor sample in existance. - Most of the people willing to perform an install wanted to know if there would be worthwhile gains. It's a little tough to take orders with payment, when the product doesn't exist.

You're other issue will be that some of those willing to swap out their exhaust manifolds may no longer be on this site. We can't really say where they are by name, but they're not here. (There was a split, I'm inclined to believe that the actual reason lies between what has been indicated by each side, which is usually the case in such instances).

#9 ·
Just had a chat with Kooks. Lime-Swap could potentially pay the development costs on this, place a bulk order, and retail them. The question is whether or not it could be done at a cost that the market will bear. I'm sure at $750 several people would jump, as that's about what it costs to get a cracked manifold fixed at the dealer. What about $1000? How many people are left at $1500?

#10 · (Edited)
Maybe get some real world testing before throwing a price tag out still gotta figure out what size pipe will be used the cost of the metal + welding + time = price / profit..

hell maybe make a cheap log manifold with a t4 flange and a simple v band wastegate flange for the start of a simple turbo kit ;)

ps: whats the price on just the cnc cut exhaust flange?

#13 ·
First off I would like to thank everyone for the input so far. I know that there have been several post in the past for people looking for these headers, but most of those threads are a year plus old and I need to see how interest is at current because the market changes all the time. I also would like to address the price question. This may be the hardest part of this proses. What price is it worth it and where is in no longer viable for you. Also keep in mind that these headers would be made out of 304 Stainless and will not rust, or corrode and will carry the Kooks life time warranty. Also what features and option would you want to see on these headers (2nd 02 for A/F). I have this posted on multiple site and will be combining all this information and running it up the chain to see what we can do to fill this void in the market.:thx

#26 ·
Guys, I started a new poll with pricing and gains here. Please let me know what you think.

:crackup:

LOL!!! You've found out the hard way about the draconian mindset here - you're not allowed to mention the "other site" at all...

But the location of the poll has a good degree of chatter regarding it - I'm sure you'll get the feedback you desire from there.

Good luck!

#27 ·
I gave Kooks input on primary pipe size.. just hope that they don't try and make a single header for the early and late engines.

With the restricted exhaust port on the early engines gas velocity is going to be key to getting a successfull design.

The late engines will benefit with a larger pri. pipe.

#28 · (Edited)
Nova Joe I think and believe if Kooks make headers for the 4.2 they will sell if they were a reasonable price. Im thinking between $500-$650. If Kooks sets the Price too high like stainlessworks did it just wont sell. If this does get done ill be the first too buy. As long as 1. Good price 2. No Check engine light 3. Dyno results.

Also NovaJoe i see you have a 2004 TB. Do you work there? I lived very close to kooks when they were in Bayshore NY. Also are you getting this test fitted on your TB?

#30 ·
Yes I do work for Kooks, and yes I am using my TB for the test fitting. I know the final price will be determined by production cost. The final details are being finalized right now so I should know more soon. All of us over at Kooks are excited about this build.

#29 ·
I'll go out on a limb here and say I may be interested. But I would want a full system. Must havel a cat, maybe a Random cat and must be quiet. I would not want anything much louder than stock. Now for the sick part- how about a 6 into 1 merge collector?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.