Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Help...I can't get my oxygen sensor off.

20K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  jrk247 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace the front o2 sensor on the Envoy. The socket just slips and will not loosen it...any ideas how to get it off?

#3 ·
I bought the socket from Autozone that's for them...so i think it's the right size. It's not rounded, the socket flexes and just moves. I can't get to the nut with vice grips...can I attach it to the part of the sensor that sticks out or will that break it off?

#5 ·
are you sure youre trying to remove the right part?
Just in case
Should be located on the passenger side on the exhaust manifold.
You should be able to view it from the rt wheel well. you can turn the wheel to access it.
Im a little concerned that its bending the tool youre using.
they are usually hardened since they have the opening on them to allow the wire to not be damanged.....
Can you take a pic of the O2 sensor?
Can it be rusted on there so much.
I replaced mine at something like 130,000 and it came out very very easily.

#14 ·
are you sure youre trying to remove the right part?
Yes I'm trying to remove the right part...but thanks for double checking! It looked very rusty.

That's exactly it. Us midwest guys are in the salt belt. We know how to make plastic rust:rotfl:
Isn't that the truth! I'm orig from Erie and in the winter the Envoy changes from Tan to White! Not so bad down here in LC I don't think they know what salt is!

If you need help let me know. I will bring over my socket and give it a try, I will also bring a pipe wrench just in case. I changed mine last week and I expected a struggle, but it came out very easy.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I don't get it off this weekend.

Go to auto zone and rent their o2 sensor tool. It comes with the socket and 2 other tools. I used the socket to get my orginal off 3 days ago. But had to use the other tool to install the new one. The other tools make it easier. Just had to slid a pipe on my ratchet for a longer lever arm.
What's the difference between the two tools? The one I bought at auto zone is a short socket with the offset. I guess I will rent the set on the way home and see if that helps!

Would it be beneficial to do it when the engine is hot? Or would it be just as stuck?

#13 ·
Go to auto zone and rent their o2 sensor tool. It comes with the socket and 2 other tools. I used the socket to get my orginal off 3 days ago. But had to use the other tool to install the new one. The other tools make it easier. Just had to slid a pipe on my ratchet for a longer lever arm.

#15 ·
One other thought, not all sockets have the same number of faces or points on them. A 12 point socket on a 6 point bolt will have more play and be more likely to slip than a 6 point socket. If you're socket has more points than the head of the O2 sensor (I believe they're 6 pt, but not looking at one), make sure you're using a 6 pt socket or one with the same number of points. - Might be part of the problem, the O2 specific socket usually has the same number of points as the sensor.....they know how difficult it is to remove them at times.

#17 ·
- Might be part of the problem, the O2 specific socket usually has the same number of points as the sensor.....they know how difficult it is to remove them at times.
Yes I have the one specifically for O2 sensors, it's six sided with a opening for the wires.

didnt occur to me that you were in the rust belt....
but I was expecting a tough time to remove mine- and in reality--- it was so easy--- that I actually had a harder time removing the plug....
no joke...
it really was harder to disconnect it- than it was to remove the O2 sensor itself.
the new sensor also had a bead of anti seize around it too... so make sure yours has it- or hasn't been wiped off.
I was expecting an easy time to remove mine, bought the special tool, a new breaker bar....didn't work so well. I was bitching up a storm trying to get it unplugged...you can imagine how heavy that storm grew when I was not able to get the sensor off! I did buy additional anti seize just in case it gets wiped off.

#16 ·
didnt occur to me that you were in the rust belt....
but I was expecting a tough time to remove mine- and in reality--- it was so easy--- that I actually had a harder time removing the plug....
no joke...
it really was harder to disconnect it- than it was to remove the O2 sensor itself.
the new sensor also had a bead of anti seize around it too... so make sure yours has it- or hasnt been wiped off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.