Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Lug Nuts?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ylab 
#1 ·
When installing aftermarket wheels do the factory lug nuts work?

I only ask this because on my other car (Audi - which uses lug bolts - not nuts) - I needed different lug bolts - taper seat instead of the ball seat bolts that came factory.

Also, how about hubcentric rings? Are you guys using them with your after market wheels?

Thanks,
John

#2 ·
My answer may be simple but for the most part when you get aftermarket rims/wheel. They add in the lugnuts. So basically you will not really need to use those factory lugs...I hope this kind of helps. Maybe someone else can add to my answer.

#4 ·
It all depends upon the rim.

I know that some OEM lugs have a fatter head which do not fit into the holes for some wheels. Also as some of us have found, our "tire iron" or "lug nut remover" as some of us call it :) does not fit the smaller lug nut hole.

I used to have to carry a Snap-on Socket Wrench and a pipe (for leverage) on my old truck for this reason.

Also the factory ones are ugly. Most aftermarket ones, which will be exposed, are usually chromed, getting you an extra 10 bling points.

Ask the dealer, as they most likely will have mounted rims from that manufacturer onto someone's vehicle and they should know.

#5 ·
Well, I bought the wheels of of Ebay, so I can't really just ask the dealer that is installing them - I am kind of on my own.

Also, I don't need chrome lug nuts because there is a center cap that covers the nuts - so if the factory ones fit that is fine.

Guess I'll have to wait to see when they arrive.

#6 ·
If you bought chrome rims, DO NOT use the factory lug nuts.....you'll hate yourself after seen the chrome scraped and/or chipped where they contact the mating surface of the rims. If you have wheels with hidden lugs it may not be a big deal, but for the majority of the wheels out there you'll see the damage. Do yourself a favor and go down to the local three stooges or your favorite parts store and buy a set of chrome lugs. (I think the size is 12mmx1.5 - but double-check the applications book before buying).

Also with chrome lugs/rims, using a non-chrome plated socket to remove them, ala the factory tire wrench, will cause damage to the chrome plating. You should ONLY use chrome vanadium sockets when installing or uninstalling chrome wheels & lugs to prevent possible damage. - And make sure the local wrench monkey takes the same precautions if they need to remove a wheel for any reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.