Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Motorflush at 296K????

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Falcon LS 
#1 ·
I'm about to flush my engine on a 03 Envoy for the first time...........any precautions?? Should I even do it? Will it create any leaks afterwards?......Thanks!

#6 ·
As long as you do not use a kerosene based flush, I see no problem. On the contrary, it'll help clean up the piston ring packs.

If you haven't bought the flush yet, my suggestion would be Amsoil or Lubro Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush, which you can get on eBay. These are professional products that do the job well, without negatively affecting any seals or anything.

An alternative to clean up engine internals would be to use an oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Redline. Pennzoil Ultra has Gas to Liquid (GTL) base oils, which cleans like crazy. Redline is ester based, also renowned for its cleaning abilities.

I would also suggest running some Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner or 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner in a full tank of gas. These have high doses of polyetheramine (or PEA), which is excellent at attacking and cleaning carbon and sulfur. GM sells Techron branded as a Genuine GM product at the dealer as well, but it's pricier.

#7 ·
I appreciate the feedback and replies from all of you. Thanks Falcon LS for the excellent post. I'm just trying to tune up my car.....just replaced the plugs, cleaned the throttle body, did the oil change and replaced the belt. Will also look up how to check my cat converter next since from the little reading I've done......it wont give a code if there is something wrong with it.

#10 ·
At 173k my engine sounds good, no leaks, normal to low oil consumption. I do not plan to flush my engine and I would not recommend anyone do this as a random preventative. The products mentioned are fine, but with not problem to tackle I don't see any reason to flush an engine. On the other hand I do not feel you would do any harm and if you want to do it go ahead. I'd be curious the results. Moving forward, top tier fuels, good synthetic oil changed timely, proper maintenance would do more to keeping a clean engine than most anything else.

#11 ·
Generally speaking, so long as the engine has been properly maintained, there won't be a need to use a flushing product, especially considering the add packs of modern oils. Not knowing the service history, however, it could be anyone's guess what oil/filter combo was used and how long its been in service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.