Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

I have a clicking noise...is it my fan clutch?

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  drexel003 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, i know everybody is probably sick of hearing about fan clutch questions and all. i am just not sure, if my problem is the fan clutch.

I have done some searches (including reading "Fan clutch 101"), and now im pretty certain its my fan clutch, but still have a few questions or concerns.

Now, a few days ago, i started it up and left it running while my gf was looking for something in the house before leaving :hissy:. that is when i noticed, there is a clicking noise coming from the engine bay. so i popped the hood and it sounded pretty close to my fan. i waited a few minutes then it went away. now since driving it, every once in a while i hear the clicking noise again (while driving and while sitting).

after reading "fan clutch 101" i noticed in the reading that it may have something to do with my A/C? but, i hardly ever use the A/C and the times it has been clicking, the a/c hasn't been running. so, im not sure if the fan clutch is the problem.

also, i have read in the forum, i can test to see if its my fan clutch by unplugging something under the shroud while it is clicking? if so, anybody have a picture of this? is this true?

one more thing is, the clicking noise is intermittent, and i have not drove it the car since buying it (which was 2 weeks ago), very far for very long.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like the typical fan clutch ticking noise that occurs every second or so.

You have two options:
-You can live with the noise, and wait till the fan clutch itself goes out on you. Mine ticked for at least 2 years, and went out.

-Or you can replace it now with the updated version, get a PCM flash from the dealer. The PCM flash with the updated version will basically give you some assurance that it won't happen again.

#4 ·
thx for the response.

ok, i have read a little through this thread (http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=9909&highlight=2002+fan+clutch&page=3) and found some of my answers.

it can still occur while not running the a/c. and there IS a plug you can unplug on the right hand side of the shroud. so while its clicking, i can unplug that, to confirm it is my fan clutch.

now i have to figure out if i can do this by myself, or how much its going to cost me to have it done by a mechanic.

anybody have any general prices? assuming its my fan clutch.

#8 ·
Similar issues

Wow what a car to buy. I will probably never buy a GM product again after my horrors. I had an '03 LS TB, tailgait snapped off. I've read of many other problems like mine, but, I liked the I6 so much I upgraded to an Envoy.

I just had the fan clutch replaced by the dealership 3 weeks after a cracked exhaust manifold was replaced by GM mechanics. Before this, the service engine light would come on every other month or so after highway trips of over 2 hours, it always came back as O2 sensor. I'm pretty sure it was a bad fan clutch because on the highway since I had persistent problems upshifting before it was replaced.

I'm getting a clicking noise again (similar to before the manifold replacement) coming from the front passengers side under the hood, only heard inside. Is this the new fan clutch roaring, or is there another leak in the exhaust? I'm nut sure exactly where each is located under the hood (other than assuming both are on that side since the manifold runs on the passenger side and exhaust pipe are on the same side.) They put "bigger" bolts in the newly replaced manifold because a few of the "old" ones snapped off when my fan clutch was replaced.

My sister has an 02 TB, and mom and dad have 07 and 08 TB and none report the same "clicking" I hear. However, my best guess is the new clutch fan at the rest of the system running at 70K. Gas mileage is where it should be.

I'm just hoping its the new fan clutch making the noise and not another cracked/leaking exhaust system.

:hijacked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.