03 trailblazer stuck in gear - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 PM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
what kind of hose did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfil View Post
Here is a document with more detailed pictures of the process.
kingfil, thanks for posting this alternative fix for the shift lever problem.

my '05 denali has experienced this issue last night.

can u please clarify what kind of hose you used. also, what
size it was.

thank you in advance for your help.

fyi...the dealer quoted me $72 for the shift cable replacement part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Hose was from a sprinkler connection

The hose was just a sprinkler connection. Look at the picture or print it out and take it with you to the store. The code number is on the receipt screenshot.

It is a hard plastic. Only push it on once with glue. The way the plastic has to bend only makes for one good tight fit. The good thing is that you have an entire foot of it.

Mines has been working since this post. No issues at all.

Be your own man and take that savings of $72 plus labor and treat yourself to something nice. You deserve it. MONEY SAVED!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 PM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
thanks, kingfil

for the quick response, the clariification, and most importantly, the
encouragement.

i plan on tackling it first thing in the morning.

the truck is currently stuck in a shopping center parking lot
so it's going to be fun jacking it up and working on it there.

i'll take the picture of your receipt to home depot with me.

i'll update you tomorrow.

thanks, again.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 PM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
update

first, my apologies for the delay posting the outcome of my repair.

secondly, i'd like to thank kingfil for the excellent posts especially
the pictures which included the receipt showing the parts that he used.
and thanks, kingfil, for the encouragement to do it myself.

my gal's envoy denali was stuck in a shopping mall parking lot. not
a desirable location to fix a vehicle.

i used strapping tape to secure the lever in position so the shift selector
would actually shift the transmission. (i'm not including pictures because
kingfil's post and attachment served the purpose magnificently)

got home safely.

took my xterra to home depot and secured the parts.

in the essence of "there's many ways to skin a cat", i deviated from
kingfil's exact parts, but used his repair technique.

instead of kingfil's hose, i purchase a flexible hose that, in my opinion, fit the nipple on the shift lever better. the one downside is that the hose is flexible. the hose i purchased was 18" long so at that length it is flexible, but when using only an inch of it, it is extremely rigid.

kingfil's hose, and the one i purchased, can be found in the automatic sprinkler section of home depot.

the other variation is that i used hitch locking pin to secure the cable from
separating from the shift lever. i did use a locking washer too, but just felt
the hitch pin added more security. this can be found in the hardware aisle.

my repair was a little more expensive - $11 - because i purchased the parts kingfil used and ones i thought would work. wanted kingfil's as a backup in case mine failed. also, i need to buy glue (to glue the hose to the nipple on shift lever) which was the most expensive item at $5.

thanks again, kingfil.

and thanks, trailvoy. this is my 2nd repair i did myself on my gal's truck,
which has saved me over $1000 already. i would not have been able to do
it without the input of this great community of trailvoy owners.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic Other 2WD
Where is this grommet located on the 03 Trailblazer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budaracing View Post
That's the problem! The plastic grommet was broken. I found the cable for $60 at a GM store. Thanks guys.
I know nothing about cars. My sister is stuck in a parking lot. The car is in reverse. The transmission lever is stuck in reverse.

I would like to tell her what I read here. Where on the vehicle should she look for this missing or broken grommet? Please be specific and non technical. Would appreciate any assistance.

She is in a parking lot near Glades and the turnpike. Where should we have it towed?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic Other 2WD
What is this grommet part & where on the vehicle is it located? Stuck in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtritt View Post
There is a little plastic grommet that connects the gear shift assembly to the transmission shifter. It sounds like this little piece of plastic has broken. If you crawl under the car, you should be able to see this with no problem and even put the transmission into park or neutral by hand. Parts + installation at the dealership is about $250 or so.
I desperately need to know where to look under the vehicle. And can someone recommend a reputable place to take the vehicle to. It's stuck in Boca. I'm in Delray/Boynton. How many miles does insurance coverage allow for a tow?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thanks to all for the great info on here.

I repaired mine today, following roughly the guides given previously, but doing it slightly differently.

So lets look at the whole story. My daughter called me yesterday afternoon, to say she'd just arrived home, and when she went to park up, the Envoy got stuck in reverse. I told ther o kill the engine, and wait with the vehicle.
I consulted the forum, and my search brought me to this thread. I read, inwardly digested, then went down to my garage and got some safety wire, and pliers. Twenty minutes later, a temporary repair was in place, and the vehicle was drivable again, by the simple expedient of locking the cable end on with wire. It worked, but wasn't exactly smooth going in and out of park.

So today at work I got to thinking about it, and figured it would be better just to have a nut and bolt to hold it on. So when I got home, I inspected my stock, and liberated a couple of 10-32 bolts, some washers, nyloc nuts, and a couple of inches of 5/16" grease line (Sometimes it's good to be a field Service guy, you keep all sorts of items "just in case").

Once I got the Envoy at my garage, jacked and on axle-stands, I got under and cut the wire I'd previously fitted. Next I removed the remainder of the original grommet, inserted the grease line, and marked it for length (width of the cable end +1/8"), and cut it.
Then I removed the shift lever, and not having a grinder handy, but a convenient drill, I drilled out the original pin.
Next I put the bolt (with a flat washer) through the shift lever, fitted the grease line, another flat washer, and a nyloc on until it was two threads of being fully tight. I then cut the bolt to exact length.
After that it was just disassemble what I had, put the shift lever back on,place the grease line in the grommet space in the cable end, then align, push the bolt through, washer on, and a fresh nyloc to secure.

You could use any low friction stiff tubing you wanted, as long as it fits the grommet hole. Just make sure you leave it a little long to prevent pinching when you secure the bolt, leaving the cable able to pivot. The principle is the same.

Also, please note that I did think of using a 3/8" shoulder bolt which would have done the job perfectly, but I would have had to have waited until i was back in the plant to use a drill press to enlarge the hole in the end of the shift lever to suit....and I'm not that patient. I wanted it fixed today!

But if you have the tools and materials available to you, a 3/8"-16 by 3/4" Cap headed shoulder bolt would fit perfectly with this. You could use a 1", and a couple of nylon washers as well.

This forum, and this thread have helped me out a lot, and hopefully this may help someone else, by increasing there options for this repair.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
One week and holding! I went to Ace Hardware. Best fit seemed to be a 3/8" opaque tube, and i believe a 7/16 e-ring but dont take that ering size to the bank. I found smallest washer that wld fit over tube. Had to be very careful about trimming the tube. Too short and u cant get the washer n ering on reliably. Too long and the tube will smack into the adjacent pan. I wiped clean the grommet pin as best I could and applied a good dollap of henkel contact cement. Wasnt sure if tube or cement could handle the heat but so far so good. Did about 2 hours of highway driving in fl heat with no issues so far. Havent looked underneath to check condition. No news is good news :O

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Carbon Black Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
You saved my family from a very long night.

This post got me home tonight after an outing with my family. Same issue as described before, I had put the Envoy (2004 XUV 2WD) in drive but it went in reverse coming out of the parking lot. Tried to shift into park to see what was wrong and it was still in reverse. Then it would not shift at all but still in reverse. So I shut off the engine and then it would not restart. The shift lever was in park but the reading on the dashboard showed it was still in reverse. I called a friend to come pick my family up and get them home. While sitting there waiting, I searched the forum and found this thread.
When I looked under the vehicle I saw the cable dangling there. I followed the instructions posted by Kingfil and just placed the cable on the lever and by pulling the lever forward got it started again. I had some electrical tape with me that held it in place long enough to allow me to shift into drive and get my family home.

I will work on getting the fix tomorrow but wanted to say thank you to Kingfil and this forum for helping me get my family home safely.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Good luck hotmods. For Gawds sake dont be an idiot like me when u make ur fix. Make dang sure ur e-brake is engaged rock solid and u use proper blocking and jacking. U go yanking on the lever underneath the transmission and - surprise - u just took ur ride out of park. Ever been under an SUV when it starts rolling? ill share my stupidity if saves others some grief.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.