Reduced Engine Power Sensor - Page 4 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM

2005 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Carbon Black Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
fuse block

Not as bad as it sounds, for a qualified place. $800 and I was out. Spent 3 times that trying to find out that was it. I guess just age and engine heat gets to the plastic eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Member of the Reduced Engine Power Club 6 months

03 Envoy 170K no modifications.

In May 2012 Reduced Engine Power light/Check Engine light started coming on randomly - it happens in hot and cold weather, local and highway driving, short and long distance. Lose ability to accelerate, have to restart engine.

Since then over 1/2 dozen visits, local independent shop has replaced throttle body, accelerator pedal/sensor, wiring harness/connectors, ECM. Tech assures me problem has stopped (test driving vehicle 300+ miles total) - and within a day of getting it back, problem recurs.

Apparently, they're test-driving it with panels off because twice when I stopped by to pick it up, they mentioned having to put the panels back on. So I'm wondering if it's possible that when they're replaced, they're crimping some wiring? Does this sound possible, and if so, what should I look for?

Same shop replaced Fan clutch June '11 (not sure if relevant, but others have mentioned it)

Before this, these guys treated me right, but I've spent over $1,000 so far, and I've lost confidence in them. When I do find a new shop, I want to be informed - what should I be expecting?

Thanks in advance - lots of good information here, looking for guidance as I pursue this. I love the vehicle and think it can keep going a while.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM

2003 GMC sierra
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 4X4
Won' go away

Hello guys, I am new here as well as a DYI guy. I dont know a whole lot about vehicals but enough to get me buy and save$. I am having this same problem, the Reduced engine power warning displays and wont go away. I have checked the wires at the TB as well as the pedal, cleaned my TB, cleaned and sanded my ground conections, the ones i could find anways. Disconected my battery. Hooked up a wire from the neg post of battery to the TB. Everything i have done isnt fixing the problem. Am i missing something, or do I have to replace my TB. Is there a way to check if the TB is working properly. Please any help would be much appreciated. It is a 2003 GMCsierra 1500 HD
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Possible Fix

As others have said elsewhere, if a fix isn't working try replacing an aftermarket part with an OEM part before going onto the next thing. Wish I had known sooner because it would have saved me 6 months and over $1,000 - to say nothing of the aggravation!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
2004 trailblazer

Have the issue with the reduced engine power light says code 107 on the obd ive replaced the map sensor already and cleaned the throttle body to no result when i start the car its not on after about 10 sec it comes on and runs rough cant figure it out either
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
After 2 fan clutches and an OEM pedal assembly....I went into REM again with the code P1271...AGAIN...pulling my hair out.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Connector?

I've got a slightly different problem, but I still get the REP light. I get the REP light randomly (started last week) and once I pull over, turn off the engine, disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) connector, reconnect it the problem goes away. It's happened about 5 times regardless of being on the hiway or streets. Once the connector is reconnected the problem seems to go away. So my thought the connector was bad and replaced it. I found the connector and pins and made my own connector. I started the car after being off for 4 days (waiting for connector parts) and the fan clutch made the normal high winding sound when cold and as soon as it shifted into 2nd gear the REP light came on! Major disappointment!!! I was a few hundred feet from home so I hung a U'y and popped the hood and did the disconnect/reconnect thing. Problem went away and the 15 minute test drive seemed all was OK. Next morning the REP light did not come on but came on after 7 minutes of driving. Pulled over, did the connector thing and the problem did not come back. I don't trust the fix and will not trust it until it stays off for months. Has anyone gone thru this connector thing? I saw a post on removing the rivets from the TPS and cleaning the inside...is that even worth doing? I cleaned the Throttle Body (TB) about 6 months ago when the Envoy would almost die everytime I came to a stop. Cleaning it out solved that immediately. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Superior Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Anytime you've got a REP lite, codes are helpful.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Newb so I'm learning the ropes... Here is what I have with regards to codes:

P0442
Evap Emissions Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak). This goes away when I replace my gas cap. I'm on my 4th Gas cap, as they seem to loose the ability to lock after about 6 months. Not sure why???

P0220
Throttle/Pedal Position/Switch B Circuit Malfunction.

P0120
Throttle/Pedal Position/Switch A Circuit Malfunction.

P0493
Fan Overspeed

P1516
Command vs Actual Throttle Position Performance (TAC module)

P2135
Throttle/Pedal Position/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation.

I read through the posts from others and was curious if there were photos of where (locations) the loose connections or frayed wires. I seriously think there are poor connections in the connector on the TPS only because if I turn on/off the engine numerous times nothing changes. If I remove the connector as quickly as I can the problem goes away. Any suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Superior Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
I read through the posts from others and was curious if there were photos of where (locations) the loose connections or frayed wires. I seriously think there are poor connections in the connector on the TPS only because if I turn on/off the engine numerous times nothing changes. If I remove the connector as quickly as I can the problem goes away. Any suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated.
No pictures, you're just doing a wiggle test right at the connector wires a few inches from the connector.

Quote:
#PIP3089B: SES Light And Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135 - keywords accelerator actuator APP blade body connector connection DTC L33 L59 LH6 LR4 LM7 LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 module position reduce sensor - (Oct 31, 2006)
Subject: SES Light and Reduced Engine Power DTC P0120 P0220 P1516 P2135

Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainer
2005-2006 Cadillac CTS-V
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Monte Carlo, Silverado, SSR, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer
2003-2006 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon
2003-2006 Hummer H2
2005-2006 Pontiac GTO
Equipped with a 4.8 5.3 6.0 or 7.0 V-8 Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

Recommendation/Instructions:Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

 1. Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated.
 2. Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
 3. On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.
If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved. There is a throttle body pigtail connector available through GMSPO, but installing this pigtail connector may cause other intermittent TAC module/TP codes at a later date. If this pigtail must be used, please follow the SI procedures for Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves. (the proper Kent-Moore crimping tool must be used for this repair)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.