Replaced my thermostat last weekend (with pics) - Page 10 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
sounds like the fan and check the connection first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks, it WAS the connection. It was really tight and I didn't have it pushed together far enough. It was a real puzzle getting the clips out of the connector. The SES is still on, but hopefully will reset.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodspirit View Post
Thanks, it WAS the connection. It was really tight and I didn't have it pushed together far enough. It was a real puzzle getting the clips out of the connector. The SES is still on, but hopefully will reset.
Your welcomw!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Talking

Thanks a million for this post! I read DD's thread and was prepared to go through the wheel well. I almost quit trying to get hose clamp off!! The bottom bolt was a breeze. I bought a set of locking craftsman extensions. Can't believe I've gone this long without a set. Top bolt--impossible. I ended up taking the alternator off and finishing. Not as bad as I thought. Followed your advice and used a set of bungee tie downs to pull the AC hose out of the way of the bottom alternator bolt. Definitely a can do. I can't even call myself a weekend mechanic but this was not as difficult as I imagined.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Had to remove alt as well!

Recently got the P0128 code and so at 116K decided to change the dex-cool as well as the tstat. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV and tried to go through the wheel well but as the last poster said found that the top bolt was not possible since the alt posed too much interference. Wasted some time and should have unbolted the alt from the start it would have made getting the hose clamp off easier. The old dex-cool looked great as did the radiator and block. The first step was to remove the bottom hose from the radiator and to drain the system. The block did drain through the old tstat although it was slow. I then refilled with distilled water and did this twice at which point the drain was pretty much clear water. Found that draining while the engine was hot worked best (my coolant temp was probably only 150 or less since the old tstat was opeing too soon or wasn't closing all the way. I then replaced the tstat and replaced the hoses and used screw clamps. Once the alt was removed getting to the bolts from under the wheel well worked great. I would suggest having a magnetic stick to grab the screws and I also should have worn a long sleave shirt. I was able to drain the overflow tank by removing the hose from the radiator and lowered down so that the fluid drained out and flushed with distilled water and then filled with 50/50 mix of dex-cool and distilled water. Found the dex-cool conc for $14.27 at wally world. Oh also, a short combination 15mm wrench worked good to get the bottom bolt out of the alt although I ended up using a pry bar to slightly move the ac line to get the bolt back started on reassembly.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:34 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
mrbflat, thanks a ton for this. Helped me out, that's why I love this forum!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
You're welcome

Folks, I am so glad this post continues to help my fellow homies time and time again. It is nice to be able to pay back and contribute to our love of these vehicles. Sadly, I finally sold my '03 TB a few months ago, but only after running the odometer to over 260K miles!! I only sold it because it was in good running order, and I wanted to get a little $$$ on it before anything starting going wrong. Now I am in the market for my next SUV, and not surprisingly, I am seriously considering another TB EXT if I find one in good condition with low miles.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Had to change T-stat on wife trailblazer tonight, great write up and pictures. still stinks you have to loose that much coolant I even drained some from lower radiator hose and still ended up with alot in catch can still put fresh in though since I don't know what it mixed with on way out. took about 2 hours. Wish engineers would go to the old fashion way with 2 bolts take housing off and pull out the old and drop in the new. Or like in my Pontiac Fiero is take radiator cap off pull out T-stat and drop in the new and put cap back on.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:42 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm going to tackle the coolant temp sensor, T-stat and water pump at the same time this weekend. This site provides great directions and advice as long as you follow closely. Here goes nothing... but a great job when i'm done.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Well I used the helpful directions from these forums and replaced my coolant temp sensor, T-stat and water pump at the same time this weekend. This site provides great directions and advice as long as you follow closely. I found the hardest thing to remove was the fan and shroud but with a little, ok lots of effort It came out and the rest was a breeze. Thank you guys for all the great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.