Power Steering Cable Cracked (Repair Question) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Power Steering Cable Cracked (Repair Question)

Hi everyone

Im new to the forum. I tried to post in the proper section. If Im wrong please let me know and I will move this thread.

Last week I bought a 2002 trailblazer LT 4.2 inline 6 at 164K. I took it to a mechanic and found out that it needed a few things. I was aware of the exhaust leak and expected other issues as I only paid $4000. Which is fine with me, but I am looking for some advice on how to go about fixing them.

Problems

Motor
Cracked Exhaust Manifold *not done yet*

Braking System
Brakes Pads front and back *not done yet*
Rotors front and back *not done yet*

Suspension and Steering
Power steering hose replacement 164k *not done yet*
Front Swaybar Links 164k *not done yet*

Belts and Fluids
Replaced serpentine belt at 164k *I fixed*
Drain and Replace Tranny Fluid *not done yet*
Drain and replace Diff oil *not done yet
Drain and replace Transfer Case oil *not done yet*
Oil change done at 164K * I fixed already*

Electrical
Fan Blower Resistor Pack at 164k *I fixed*
Spark Plugs replaced at 164k *I fixed*
Back seat left passenger light switch *not fixed yet*
Auxillary output from stereo for ipod *not done yet*

My question is regarding the power steering repair. The other repairs I will inquire about later, but as of right now the power steering is priority.

I have attached a picture of the power steering hose that cracked on me while transporting the vehicle from the city of purchase to where I live. Approximately 500 miles into travel it cracked on me. Please correct me if Im wrong but to my knowledge this line is the high pressure line. If you look at the picture http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=nic...&IID=263360899 the line that I need to replace has duct tape on it. Please don't laugh, I only did that to get home, so that I could keep the system lubricated to hopefully save the pump (I still had 100 miles to travel to get home). Also judging by the two hose clamps as you can see in the picture, it looks like the previous owner may have repaired this himself at some point. Again correct me if Im wrong but I don't think that would be something that would come from factory. Nevertheless, this is where Im at currently. I priced out the part that I believe I need. Pricing is as follows.

Napa

High Pressure Power steering Cable (part only) $199.09

Chevy Dealership $908.00 (including labor)

I am mechanically inclined and would like to do the job myself. At the same time, I am a tradesman and understand that some things are better off left to the professionals. What is your opinion on if this is a DIY project. I am confident with the replacement portion of this job. I am more concerned with the bleeding of the system and then refilling the fluid. I don't want air in the lines or any other problems. Any information regarding this repair would be much appreciated. I am very happy I am part of this forum and look forward to contributing information in the future, as I will be doing much of the work listed above (possibly all) myself, if, and I will share all of my tips and experience with everyone in the hopes that I can give back to our community.

Thanks

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
You can replace the line yourself. Not a difficult job but it is time consuming as the hose runs all around the engine compartment, to the PS cooler, and over the drivers side inner wheel well (if you're replacing both the high pressure and low pressure lines).
As for bleeding, what I do is get the front tires off the ground, fill the PS reservoir, start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way left and right a few times. You may have to fill it 2 or three times and it will be noisy.
When the fluid level stabilizes, add until the level is just above the 'add' mark, take it for a ride and check again, add as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.