Drl killer diy - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I just noticed you were from Canada, Maybe thats why your having such a hard time getting this to work. Dont you have to have DRL's up there?
i don't think we have to have DRL here, but most of new vehicles from 1995 have it. i still see a lot of newer vehicles on the road without DRL. i'm not too sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
The dlr kill worked, but I must have messed up the quad beam because if I pull the high beam leaver towards me the high beam and lows are both on (which is normal), but if I push it forward nothing happens. Then the truck seems to freak out, a security light comes up on the dash and then -----unknown driver----- is displayed.

I did notice there was about three of the same green wires, but I lined one of them up to the number 10 and assumed it was f.

With the yellow, I only really saw one yellow, but it was on the same line as the green one so im guessing that's where I went wrong? Because it says e4 and I probably did f4 or something.

What did I do wrong?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
resurrecting an old thread - does following these directions in the first post still allow the 'auto on' feature to work at dusk/night?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post
resurrecting an old thread - does following these directions in the first post still allow the 'auto on' feature to work at dusk/night?
Yes it does.

I fixed my above problem ^^^ if anyone was curious.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
No longer with us

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
for questions to the OP who made this write up, he has moved to where others have gone...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Resurrection!

The directions in here work great. I'd already done the quad beam mod when we first got the truck (I did it under the dash, not at the BCM).

We've had HIDs for quite a while in the truck, and I bought the stuff for the capacitor mod well over a year ago and never got around to doing it, so we always just flick the DRLs off when we get into the truck.

I then came across this thread and remembered I had a spare relay/harness out in the garage from my old F-body. Wired it up exactly as in the first half of the first post of this thread.. was too lazy to solder, so I did my normal split-wire-reverse-twist-and-opposing-fold-and-tape ritual on the cut ends and then used some of those plastic splice pieces for the in-line stuff (FWIW, I've never had a problem with those). Electrician's knot wouldn't be very easy with the tiny wires used in the BCM wires.

Bottom line.. DRLs are no more! Both manual and auto headlights still work (we couldn't have lived without those).
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
i did this this weekend. thanks for instructions. i hate DRLs. They are so gay
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black Granite Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Thank you for the post.
My journey was as follows:

1. Purchased sh*!ty HID bulbs and ballasts from eBay without knowing much. When I installed them and turned them on, all I heard was a buzzing sound that I was worried was a precursor to a fire. I immediately removed them.
2. I decided that a proper HID retrofit with projectors was what I wanted.
3. Purchased an HID retrofit system, hopefully the ones I got are decent but who knows.
4. I completed the retrofit in the headlight assembly.
5. Found out that DRL's suck for HIDs in cars that weren't meant to have them.
6. Found a DRL killer video on youtube and bookmarked it.
7. Bought a relay and relay socket for the project.
8. But the auto-lights feature turned me off. Project put on hold.
9. Searched today for a DRL killer that kept quad lights and auto-on/off headlights.
10. Found this thread.
11. Became motivated.
12. Took me about an hour and a bit to complete the project.
13. Worked perfectly the first time, thankfully.

No DRL
Lights turn on automatically at night when put into gear
Headlights do not flash when unlocking car
Yellow markers flash when unlocking car
Quad lights when put into high beam mode

I am a happy camper.

Your instructions were spot on. Though I'd recommend that you recommend a relay socket. I also labeled the wires ahead of time.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Gold 4.2L I6 4X4
DRL Killer...

I followed Clifford Henlines instructions for making the drl killer except that I used a relay and socket and it worked flawlessly. The socket just makes things easier. The quad high beam mod works great. I used an HID conversion kit which came without instructions caused a little head scratching but I figured it out. I use 5000K Xenon bulbs and the difference is absolutely phenomenal! Well worth the effort!

This forum is great!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
The e4 wire on mine is a tan-ish color the solid yellow is in a different location should I go with the location or color? This is for the quad headlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.