New "How to fix the seat heater" thread. - Page 5 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Thanks!

Is there a procedure for replacing the back heater?

I was surprised that when I finally removed the bottom portion of the seat (following all the steps in this thread), and there was no connection to the seat back. How is the seat back heater connected to the seat cushion heater?

I just did a search for the Dorman 641-106 on Amazon, and they say it does not fit my 2003 Envoy SLT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 PM

2004 Buick Rainier
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
for starters , amazon sucks as a reference for car parts

if you are adept enough to tear into a seat repair--- surely you can see the electrical connection for the BACK heater pad- LOOK FOR IT

Then go to dormanproducts.com and look at the pic for that part number.

( yes, i know it doesnt list it for your 03 envoy-- but i'll just bet its the one you need)

OR

if you prefer the DEALER ROUTE, here is your officail GM part number

Heater pad-seat back part #
GMC 88949455
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Thanks ce8204.

I realized after submitting that post that there must of course have been a connector for the back of the seat controls, I just didn't notice any plug coming out of the bottom of the back part of the seat.

Is there a procedure for removing the back heater pad?

What's weird is that the Dorman part # for the cushion part (described in this thread) has instructions showing that the heating element is for the cushion AND the back. That's one reason I don't trust these Chinese/Taiwanese instructions. Delco isn't any better, all their parts are sourced from overseas now, so they don't have any better quality than the cheap Taiwanese junk.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM

2007 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
I need to do this on both front seats in my Wife's 9-7x will the Dorman 641-107 part number work? It seems like it should work in all the GMT360 platform models. Hers is an '08 model.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 AM

2004 Buick Rainier
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
yes it will work just fine
Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM

2007 SAAB 9-7x
Imperial Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Thanks, I thought so but wanted to be sure before I ordered two of them.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Forest Green Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Just replaced my Seat Heater Elements

Thank you Goatfaster for the excellent how-to write-up ! The pictures aided immensely.

My wife and I did both seats together in about 3 hours. This was a very relaxed pace and included wine (after we completed one seat....celebration time).

If anyone is worried about performing this work, don't be. The connectors can only go together one way as they are all unique. And definitely the metal hold-down clips were the hardest to install. Hard may not be the best descriptor. Dexterous Manipulation resulting in hand-cramps is a better term (lol). We used 2 needlenosed pliers instead of the supplied tool you get with the Dorman replacement parts. (Note: I bought the parts thru Rock Auto).

Now we can have warm bums in the -30 deg winter....which is approaching.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Yes it's not a hard thing to fix. I fixed our drivers seat bun heater today, was a perfect day for it, lots of sunshine. Now I will be on the wifey's good side.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Nice write up! Did this in about 2 hours today, pretty easy.. Here are my thoughts/ hints.

Seat Position. Obviously as poster said, make the seat line up on top of the tracks, but the position of the seat up and down, I took mine with the seat all the way up... Problem with that is that made the 13MM front driver side bolt on the seat bottom harder to get out because the position joint is right below it. I had to wrench the bolt a bunch of times because the socket head was too big to fit in there even with a shallow socket... If you put the seat all the way up, then down for a few seconds, maybe 3, then the joint is enough out of the way as it turns horizontal.... Rest of the 3 13 MM bolts are easy access, just the front driver on had the joint just below it...could have saved me a little time, not a big deal...

I found it easier just to remove the whole seat, with the 4 18MM nuts/bolt. Easier to work on in the living room with plenty of light to see underneath all the motors and wires..Personal preference for lighting.

Sounds silly but for us that have never done this, make sure the new seat heater you bend the end with the smaller pad into the cushion grooves. When I took off the sticky tape and put it on, it obviously was longer than the original pad heater footprint, I didn't push the heater into the pad groove..Doh...When you do that and make it exactly as the old, it fits perfectly..

Hogs Rings. With the foam pad in the way, I couldn't get the cheapo rad handled hogs ring pliers to work.. When I pushed them in, it would grab the seat upholstery plastic tubing, but not get around the wooden dowel in the seat cushion... I just used needle nose pliers, pre-bent the new hogs rings into a U. Then at the end of each hogs ring I put a little bend in to form a circle, keeping the circle open enough to get around both the plastic tubing and wood dowel...

From factory the back of the new Hogs Rings are flat...Instead bend it into a U, and bend the ends into a circle angle then stick each one in the wooden dowel in the cushion with the point ends sticking up... Then take the upholstery and put one end of the hog ring through it using the existing hold in the fabric, that way you know you're lined up. Then as you fight the cushion from pushing out the fabric off the new Hog Ring, take your other hand and take needle nose or linesman's pliers and Squeeze the Hogs Rings shut around both dowels. The existing U you bent earlier into the Hog Ring will form around the Wooden dowels easily, not breaking/damaging them....Then turn them down to avoid pointy ends pricking through fabric, but since we had the pre-made circle ends when you clamp/crimp them down, the circle ends automatically go around the wood/plastic dowels...I turned them down anyway, probably didn't have too..use common sense feel, if point bend around.

Pretty easy fix once you get the hand of it. I found with the new Hog Ring in the cheapo red handled pliers, that not enough of the pointy end of the hog ring was sticking out to get past the wooded dowel...What a cheapo tool...
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
About those hog rings.........28 years ago I was re-upholstering the seats for my '67 GTO. First time I've ever done it. Also was the first time I've ever gotten 2 black eyes at the same time.

I was struggling with the cover, trying to pull it into position almost as hard as I could. Suddenly it slipped, and the hog ring equipped pliers came straight at me at the indent on my nose. I almost passed out, started bleeding pretty badly, almost stuck the hog ring thru my nose bone just below the eyebrow line. I guess I was trying to pierce my nose, found out it's not for me

I've since learned to get those new covers warm. Old covers like in a TB that you are only replacing heaters, they go back on no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.