Speed-dependent noise started yesterday, sounds like heavy tread road noise - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > AWD Drivetrain

AWD Drivetrain AWD repairs & problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Superior Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Speed-dependent noise started yesterday, sounds like heavy tread road noise

I just noticed this yesterday, never heard it before. Could it be a wheel bearing? Sounds like it is coming from the front of the truck. Mine is 2006 AWD with about 68,000 miles. I just changed front diff fluid about 2 months ago.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Does it seem to load up in a corner or it it constant ?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM

I will have to pay attention for changes when I take a corner. I know it had to have just started yesterday, because it makes a harmonic sound against the sound of the engine, kind of like two people singing slightly out of pitch with each other.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Confirmed bearing noise

Yes, indeed, it is one of the front wheel bearings. Although I don't notice the noise increase around corners, I do know that my description fits perfectly with several other AWD owners, including the 'offroad tire sound'. So I will be getting the ol' jack out to confirm which wheel (or maybe both)?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
06 awd front end noise

How Do you know its the front wheel bearing? I have an 06 with 49,000 miles and that same noise just appeared. Just wondering how you figured that out.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

I am not 100% on my conclusion. But after researching the issue I believe that has to be the answer. A lot of owners of the AWD report the exact same noise and resolved with bearing replacement. Also, the noise started with mine immediately after the first salting of the roads for snow. So that is why I am very confident in my presumption. I will report back after I do my inspection.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 AM

oops, unsolved!

Okay, jacked up the front end and rotated both wheels by hand carefully listening for any noise. No luck, they are both sounding fine. I am now leaning toward this being the passenger side intermediate shaft assembly. I made an order for all the bearings, washers, and seals to service this and mod it to lubricate with gear oil.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LS)
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I had a similar noise I think it was the front diff being low on fluid
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I had the exact tire/road noise. Replaced tires and had the pros inspect the front end. Pros advised it was the tires. Decided to just replace both front bearing assembly. Problem fixed. Of course, $1500 later though for a $100 fix. By the way, noise started at 50000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.