Removing front differential!! - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (LT)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Do I need to drop the pan if I just need to change the seal on the driver's side where the differential bolts to the pan? Seems like all I need to do is disconnect differential to change seal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 AM

trailblazer Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
diff

when you got those bolts out take two screw drivers and push evenly to get the diff out of oil pan. you got the ac bolts out and the main diff bolts. just follow the picture diagram.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSSter View Post
Do I need to drop the pan if I just need to change the seal on the driver's side where the differential bolts to the pan? Seems like all I need to do is disconnect differential to change seal?
You don't need to remove oil pan to replace inner seal. I was at the dealers today in fact talking with a couple tech friends of mine, one of which incidently happened to have a TB front diff leak. The leak was at the case halves which is very common due to lack of sealant. He also said the oil pans never leak either. I watched him completely remove and disassemble front diff in no time!
Now I can hardly wait to do mine!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristis Dad View Post
I watched him completely remove and disassemble front diff in no time!Now I can hardly wait to do mine!
Any chance you can details the steps ?
It sound like its much easier than what is posted here.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveO View Post
Any chance you can details the steps ?
It sound like its much easier than what is posted here.
He moved to quickly for me..lol! He removed 2 big shields around the strg rack, disengaged axles from diff.,removed jack shaft, removed motor mount nuts to lift motor a bit and also used ratchet strap to pull motor slightly to pass.side and removed a bunch of bolts and got it out of there. Not sure on the sequence of steps though? seemed a little tough to squeak it out of there so I'm sure it's tough going back in..
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
u dont have to remove the oil pan to get the diff out
1.remove belt
2. remove cooling fan and surround
3. remove alternator
4.remove a/c compressor (u dont have to disconnect lines it will reach if flopped onto top of engine)
5.remove axles,pass. side diff actuator,and the shaft that goes through the oil pan
6.remove drive shaft(front)
7.unbolt the diff
i also removed the thermostat with the lower hose
(the fun part)
muscle the diff out the top
i did my bosses in about 3.5 hours in and out (he blew the pinion out the sideso we had a rebuilt unit on hand when i changed it
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Help

Great post. I did this same job myself but found one extra bolt when finish. does the oil pickup tube have three or two bolt holding it in.

Thanks
Meads
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Sorry I didn't remove the oil pan
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
please help

I know I have to remove differentials to get the oil pan off and I removed the 4 main bolts
on differential but the differential will not budge is there a keeper of some sort in there. Please help it will budge
Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
any one out there who can help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by grentz View Post
Hi guys, got a problem,i have to remove the oil pan so now Im trying to remove the front Differental on my 02 TB 4x4. I got the passenger side assembly of and pulled out of the oil pan now i cant get the driver side off. How many bolts is it, I took out 4 or 5 of them the ones that i could see. Is there any hidden up there anywhere. WHY can I not pry the damn thing off. PLEASE HELP.
..did u receive help on this question. How did you end up getting it off. I have an 02 gmc envoy xl slt.

I know I have to remove differentials to get the oil pan off and I removed the 4 main bolts
on differential but the differential will not budge is there a keeper of some sort in there. Please help it will budge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.