Tires Cupping Need Opinions - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Tires

Tires Tires

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Tires Cupping Need Opinions

Hello everyone, TB '06. I'm having an ongoing issue with the front tires cupping on the insides. History: Purchased Destination A/t tires from Firestone, had alignment done upon installation. They do a front end check prior to alignment. Months later I notice the fronts cupping. Changed the struts. Still cupping. Bring it back and they check everything out again along with alignment. All in spec. Tech adjusted camber slightly out of spec to compensate for cupping. Still cupping. Bring it to a different, very reputable, mechanic. Called me back tonight and said there is nothing wrong with the front end at all.
I'll be getting an inspection done soon and know these tires will not pass due to cupping on the insides only. At least 1/2 tread on the rest of the tire if not more. I have no issues with getting new tires but don't want to put new tires on only to find out they are going to cup also. Could the problem be the tires themselves? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
No i having the same problem with my 07 tb with toyo open country at checked almost every thing still having same problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you are actualy referring to tires "cupping", as in a scalloping fashion, the problem is either incorrect wheel balance OR a wheel weight has flown off, causing the wheel to be out of balance.

When a wheel is out of balance, it actualy "skips" on the road ..... making contact and breaking contact with road surface, causing the "cupping" that you see.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM

2003 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Cupped Tires

I am having the same problem on a 2003 Bravada. The first set of OE tires lasted about 70,000 miles but had cupped. I replaced the original set with Goodyear Fortera's and after about 30,000 miles I ave the same cupping issue. Thought it might have been worn ball joints as OE are sealed and "maintenance free" as they say. So ball joints were replaced. Just wondering if I am missing something as well. Anyone found any other issues?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
tire cupping inside tread

I have a 2002 tb ext lt I also have this tire issue I went to have an alignment done I was told by the tech the car is only slightly off on right caster this would not effect the tire wear I was told the lower ball joint is slightly worn and the lower control arm bushings are worn causing the irregular tire wear. There are 109K on car 1st set of tires lasted 60K current tires have 50k with plenty of tread on outside. Could this be the problem?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM

2000 Volkswagen Jetta
Black Other 2WD
Cupping is caused almost 100% of the time by blown shocks. balljoints will cause camber issues (tire edge wear) tie rods cause feathering (almost looks like an ocean waves if you draw them on a piece of paper)

Once tires are cupped, after replacing shocks, you need to replace tires because most cases the cupping won't wear down to make the tire smooth again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.