06 with no drive, just R, 1 and 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
06 with no drive, just R, 1 and 2

Hello. New guy here and looking for some help. The boss's 06 TB with 4.2 automatic has transmission troubles. She was driving and it felt like a bump, then another bump, then she stopped and it wouldn't go forward in Drive. It would go in reverse. It also goes forward in 1 and in 2 and will shift from 1 to 2 if you put the lever in 2. Put the shift lever in 3 or D and it's a no go.

I hooked up a scanner and got no codes in the transmission, so I started looking at data and I didn't see anything to show the shift lever postion, but after looking around a bit I found that the **EDIT** 3-2 shift solenoid showed that it was shorted to power.

I also noticed that sitting in neutral the RPMs were about 820. Shift into D and they climb to about 900-950, for a couple of seconds, then drop down to 700 something.

When driving in 1 or 2, if I got the RPMs above 1600 I started to hear what sounded like pump cavitation. Oil level is fine. Oil quality is fair to middlin'.

I searched hoping to find that this was a common problem with something like a bad circuit board in the transmission causing troubles. But I didn't find that.

Any help here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like the 3-4 shift solenoid took a crap. I just lost 2nd gear and found the 1-2 solenoid was bad. if you look on ebay you can get get all 5 solenoids for like 85 bucks, I got the 1-2 3-4 and the 3-2 from napa today for 65 bucks took me an hour to change them out clean the pan and refill and test drive.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJenkins1581 View Post
Sounds like the 3-4 shift solenoid took a crap. I just lost 2nd gear and found the 1-2 solenoid was bad. if you look on ebay you can get get all 5 solenoids for like 85 bucks, I got the 1-2 3-4 and the 3-2 from napa today for 65 bucks took me an hour to change them out clean the pan and refill and test drive.
Thanks. Is there a good way to troubleshoot this to be more certain? I should be able to find a wiring diagram and disconnect the harness and check for trouble spots.

The one thing that bugs me about the solenoid is that it says that it is shorted to power and typically a solenoid shorts to ground or is open.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
I looked at the data again and saw that it was the 3-2 shift solenoid that shows shorted to ground. Also, KOER, as I shift through the gears, it shows it in first gear until the lever hits second, then it shows second gear and it shows that the 1-2 shift solenoid is OFF. The 2-3 solenoid always shows ON and the 3-2 solenoid reads NO. (And yes, I typed that correctly)

Everything that I see tells me that the 3-2 solenoid is buggered. Does anyone concur or think that I'm way off base and the transmission is toast?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
Another test drive, this time a bit more brave.

Start with the shift lever in 1st and I take off and shift to 2nd at 2500 RPM.

At 2500 RPM, I shift to 3rd and it shifts.

At 2500 RPM I shift to D and it shifts to 4th.

Then as the speed decreases, if I'm still in D or 3, it kicks to neutral and I have to shift to 2 or 1 to get it to go.

Does this still sound like a 3-2 shift solenoid?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you have a wiring diagram you should have around 21omhs of resistance for a good solenoid. If its less then its bad, It definitely sounds like its bad. Id just replace all of them, this way you can see if theirs any metal in the pan. If it was a hard part or seal you wouldn't be able to get it to work one way but not another. these trans arnt like the old ones where the shifter actually controlled the valve body. They do to a point but rely mostly on the electric solenoids and force motor to make the shifts.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJenkins1581 View Post
If you have a wiring diagram you should have around 21omhs of resistance for a good solenoid. If its less then its bad, It definitely sounds like its bad. Id just replace all of them, this way you can see if theirs any metal in the pan. If it was a hard part or seal you wouldn't be able to get it to work one way but not another. these trans arnt like the old ones where the shifter actually controlled the valve body. They do to a point but rely mostly on the electric solenoids and force motor to make the shifts.
Thanks. Is that 21 Ohms on the 3-2 solenoid or the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids, or all of them. I know that there are two very different solenoids.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
So I plugged a new 3-2 solenoid in electrically and I still show the short to power. I unplugged the connector and checked for power on pin T which is tan with black and I have nothing there.

I checked for a short in the transmission harness at the 3-2 connector and there was no short. I hooked up the transmission connector and checked the same thing and still have no short between the two.

So why does the computer tell me I have a short to power?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM

2006 Chevy trailblazer
white 4.2L I6 4X4
Installed Junk yard transmission and it's running. There was no metal in the pan of the J/Y trans and nothing looked like it had been cleaned just to make it look like it has no troubles except they pull the pan and filter, so there is no way to be sure. A filter can tell so much.

Anyway, thanks for the help, RJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.