LED Headlamps? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
LED Headlamps?

After 4 years of owning my 2006 Trailblazer my passenger side head light went out. On a rainy night of all things... after weeks of none.

Any ways now I've spent the past few hours looking up how to change them, read several threads on 'the best' ones and read up on HID and problem with upgrading the stop/turn's with LEDs. Found some good info on 'the retrofit source' but all about HID really.

After all that I couldn't find a thing with true LEDs for the head lights.
Some have converted to all LED but metal halide for the mains...

About the closest I've seen is a aftermarket housing with the projector lens with LED in the description but only for the 'Halo rings'

I've always been a big fan of LEDs and decided if I had to replace any lights on my car it would be LED, too bad the first to go was the one I can't find.

Anyone have any ideas? or know of a source for them?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Might try googling 9006 LED headlights.
I found these on eBay and look pretty decent, but please note that nowhere does it say they are DOT approved....may be a question to ask the seller. That have others out there, but these projector bulbs seemed pretty cool. Let us know what you get and how they work...post pics!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9006-CREE...4e3bfe&vxp=mtr
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Also as a side note, I would stay away from the HIDs. They look cool and all but come with multiple problems. I have personally had a lot of issues with the HIDs I had which in turn cost me lots of $$$. I also hear about problems with them all the time and see others problems on the road. Technology needs to progress before I put HIDs back in my TB.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM

I've seen those types and they only seam to be for the fog lights. Tho that one says High/Low beams in the description I don't think it has enough light output. It says it has 3 LEDs on the sides (1.5w each) and one on the end (5w) for a total of ~11watts/650Lumens... (1.5x3 + 5=11watt???)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 AM

yea that is one thing I would be worried about. Well I will say I have the Sylvania Silverstar (the most expensive ones they had a Walmart) and I love them. Great visibility, but of course not that of HID. I just looked on their website and they claim they have a light that mimics that of an HID...you could try that out..

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produc...rstar-zxe.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARAGE_PRODUCT-3146%20d9c09936-2321-4ad1-bf3c-08c76c20006b.jpg‎
Views:	37
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	20312  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but for now I guess I'll just find something cheap so I don't get a ticket...

I'm still wanting the LEDs tho. I'm not a big fan of HIDs, I don't mind the daytime running problem (a simple CL filter would fix that) but they still use heat to actually light up... SO a decent amount of waste of energy.
Not that that's a big deal now but I have plans what may make a little difference.
But the big killer for me is the warm up time. I don't want it to take 10 to 15 seconds for the light to turn on.

I do like there better life time tho years instead of months of the higher end standard halogen bulbs

Oh and I'm not looking for that 'Blue' look, more of a truer white. Even tho light should be 6500k from my DIY projector project I like just a bit warmer maybe 5500k
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
There are LED 9005 and 9006 bulbs available, and people here, or I guess I should say "people formerly here" have tried them. They are pretty much for looks only. They do not produce nearly enough light to project on the road. They have about the same effect as putting a candle on your dash and driving with that.

As for the problems with HID, I have mine in my TB for 4 years, never had a bulb go out and never had a problem, and I've had them for 2 years in my Taurus, and those work great too. If you truly don't want HID, you're pretty much stuck with normal incandescent. Just don't get any of the bulbs that are clearly incandescent bulbs but claim to have HID output or are over the standard 55w. You will fry the wiring in the headlight eventually, and you'll be disappointed anyways.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBUBandit View Post
There are LED 9005 and 9006 bulbs available, and people here, or I guess I should say "people formerly here" have tried them. They are pretty much for looks only. They do not produce nearly enough light to project on the road. They have about the same effect as putting a candle on your dash and driving with that.

As for the problems with HID, I have mine in my TB for 4 years, never had a bulb go out and never had a problem, and I've had them for 2 years in my Taurus, and those work great too. If you truly don't want HID, you're pretty much stuck with normal incandescent. Just don't get any of the bulbs that are clearly incandescent bulbs but claim to have HID output or are over the standard 55w. You will fry the wiring in the headlight eventually, and you'll be disappointed anyways.

That's what I meant, I like that HIDs last longer then the higher brightness halogen type that last 6 months to a year and the HIDs last on the order of years.

How long does it take for your lights to warm up and be usable? And how long is the restrike time? say if your going down the road and bump the switch and turn them off and turn them back on quickly.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I really think HID is the way to go for lows and maybe fogs. There is a reason that super high end cars come with HID's. however dont know what is good and what is a waste of money. Im sure a $40 set on ebay isnt worth it but sometimes that stuff is surprisingly good. So any suggestions would be good.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red 4.2L I6 2WD
Faded Headlights

I have a 2002 Trailblazer I bought used in 2003. I've made a note to myself to never buy a 1st year model of any car again. To replace a burnt out headlight, the grill has to be removed..so unless you have the ability or know someone that can do this for you, it's $99 plus the cost of the bulb! Over the past 3 years the headlights look like they have this very noticable film over them. Is there any solution other than replacing them...which would mean removing the grill!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlight, led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.