Stalling, Low Oil Pressure, Irradic Idle - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I am having the exact problem with my vehicle. Low Oil Pressure and all. Seems to be a universal problem. I am extremely disappointed by this. It almost feels as if there is less power too. Anyone else feel the same way who is having the same problem?

Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
A lot of us have encountered the faulty oil pressure sender problem.

Changing the sensor fix mine.

However, the 1st thing to always check, is the level of the oil in the pan.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Is it an expensive part to replace?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
No, I think it was around $30 at dealer (in Canada), you can probably find it cheaper.

Easy to change, it's above/behind the oil filter
Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Platinum Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I actually just changed mine yesterday after getting the "low oil pressure" message a couple times. There are a few model numbers that show up as correct, but you need the ACDelco D1843A (which replaced the older D1838A) - Amazon has it for $25 shipped. It fits a special 1 1/16" socket since the edges are sort of rounded - get the short one I linked to, not the deep-socket one as it won't fit between the sensor and frame rail.

It's really a quick 5-10min job. The sensor is right above the oil filter and has a green 2-wire plug coming out (ignore the red arrow, the pic is from another thread). It's not hard to reach once you figure out where to stick your arm Also, a bit of oil will come out with the sensor, but not much (maybe 1/2 oz). I did it when the engine was hot so if you do the same watch where you stick your face when removing it.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i thought it was a switch, not a sender... that the needle on the gauge is a representation of oil pressure based loosely on engine RPM and coolant temperature...

switch meaning closed or open much like motorcycle oil pressure switches (no read out, just a light)

sender meaning variable voltage depending on pressure.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
i thought it was a switch, not a sender... that the needle on the gauge is a representation of oil pressure based loosely on engine RPM and coolant temperature...

switch meaning closed or open much like motorcycle oil pressure switches (no read out, just a light)

sender meaning variable voltage depending on pressure.
Like you said, ours is just a 12 PSI switch (which is what the link points to) - it's the PCM that keeps the gauge around 40 PSI and makes the needle arbitrarily move with RPMs. It's really just a dummy gauge.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I don't see the point of installing a dummy gauge. Why would they do that? haha

Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto1014 View Post
I don't see the point of installing a dummy gauge. Why would they do that? haha
it's not a dummy gauge, it's a feel good gauge.

so my question is, since the engine RPM is low, the oil pressure would be low, therefore the light would illuminate if under 14 PSI... why would changing a pressure switch solve the problem?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
it's not a dummy gauge, it's a feel good gauge.

so my question is, since the engine RPM is low, the oil pressure would be low, therefore the light would illuminate if under 14 PSI... why would changing a pressure switch solve the problem?
My guess is that normal idle pressure is higher than the threshold level of the switch (14 PSI or whatever it is), so even at idle the switch is "depressed" (assuming it works by oil pressure pushing back a contact). I'm sure after a while it gets sticky and clogged with gunk as it's only a small hole, so the pressure fails to depress the switch contact and the engine thinks oil pressure is <14 PSI causing it to cut off. That's how I imagine it in my head anyway, I could be 100% wrong.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.