Loud lifter noise - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Loud lifter noise

i have a 2002 TB with 117K .. Good oil pressure .. Valve train sounds like theres no oil going to it until it reaches operating temp ..then its faint on acceleration ,, any valve lash adjustments on these 4.2's ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The I-6 has no lifters. And, IIRC, there is no valve lash adjustment.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
131,000k engine noisey until it warms up

posted a problem at 117k and i tried every snake oil remedy under the sun , truck has 131K on it now and still has a very loud tapping noise comeing from the cams , like it has several bad valve lash adjusters , good oil pressure , just clatters really bad when cold, and when its hot , it almost goes away completely . Engine runs good still , Time to pull it ?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer13090 View Post
.....when its hot , it almost goes away completely . Engine runs good still , Time to pull it ?
I have 178K+ on my '02, and also have the tapping noise when cold.

Are you sure it's the cam lobes hitting the valves? It may be the clicking that comes from the fan clutch....there's a valve in it that allows the silicone fluid to move. When it's cold, the valve "clicks".
Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Lifteer noise

I know what your talking about with the fan .. Allready had that issue , All fixed now , this is all on the top end , clattering , like no oil . had my head under the hood , put a crew driver to my ear and the head .. its the top end all right . I guess ill run and when it quits , ill let you all know what it was ! :-)
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The 4.2 does have lifters, but the lash is pre-set by the length of the valve. The lifter is at one end of the rocker, and the valve at the other. The rocker is a roller type, and the cam lobe rides on the roller part of the lifter.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 PM

I was looking for some info as to why the lifters on my 4.2 are noisy. The noise first started when the engine was cold, and the truck had sat for a few days(when I say cold I mean -20 deg C). Now the clacking noise has started to get worse, and now it's 2 separate lifters.....Just wanted to see what other people were saying before I decided to pull the lifters. This is obviously a common problem.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 PM

I've run Mobil 1 5W30, since new, so it can't be oil related....(quality). It would be interesting to see where the main oil gallery that supplies the lifters is located...
Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 AM

2008 Isuzu Ascender
Midnight Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jeff View Post
I've run Mobil 1 5W30, since new, so it can't be oil related....(quality). It would be interesting to see where the main oil gallery that supplies the lifters is located...
Maybe try a different oil next time, I put M1 in a V6 once and the thing sounded like a diesel engine. Went back to a good grade dino oil and it sounded normal again .
Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Doesn't happen all the time but when I start mine cold I get about 5-10 clicks until oil pressure is up., even using M1.

You could try some BG MOA for reg changes, the Quick Clean or Engine Purge may be worth a try. I've never been a fan of engine flushes but hear these work well.

I'm going to try one at my next interval to see if it clears anything up.

Forgot to mention Auto Rx, may be the wiser choice but i'm still in the research phase....anyone that has had success with any of them please chime in.

http://www.auto-rx.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.