Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Envoy Front Tow Hooks

17K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Satti 
#1 ·
I have an 08 Envoy and would like to have some tow hooks on the front. T-Blazers of course have them on all 4wd's, but the Envoy does not. Does anyone have experience with installing tow hooks, or maybe a brush guard to the front with tow hooks on the brush guard?

#2 · (Edited)
Starting around 2006, the towhooks were decontented in the Trailblazers. I believe it became a $35 option. The Envoy bumper is not friendly to the oem tookhooks as you may need to cut holes in the bumper cover. A vendor here makes an excellent front bumper with optional recovery points and optional front receiver. I am not certain if this bumper is available for your Envoy though.

#6 · (Edited)
+3 for BartonMD. but as WEX said I don't believe he has had the pleasure of making one for the Envoy yet. Currently he is working on my bumper for my TB which I have to say I'm very impressed on how its turning out so far.

Also if you fill like Modding the bumper to make the OEMs fit I have them for sale. Just PM if you have questions.

#7 ·
I went with the full brush guard on the front and the bottom of the guard right next to the frame has recovery holes built into it( well thats what i use them for) with the hook on the tow strap i use it works good and i have pulled everything from a small car to a 3500 last year when one went in the ditch and no problems or damage. You may want to have a full brush guard installed and use it. I only paid 550 Installed for mine and it is a single piece not the bolt one brush style.

#9 ·
Thanks for the plugs, guys! I don't make an Envoy bumper yet, because I don't have an Envoy close enough that I can make a bumper on, to get dimensions... I'll eventually do one on a 3" body lift Envoy in Indiana, but haven't had time just yet...

I'm seriously having a mini-pannic-attack right now... Most brush guards mount to only the hanging radiator mounts (which are easy to mount), and the plastic bumper mounting M4 bolts at the top... Please make sure yours doesn't mount this way, and if it does, it's only a show piece, and please don't pull or push anything with it!

Mike

#8 ·
That's quite a bumper that Barton MD does. It looks like a real heavy duty, rugged bumper and the attachments for the towing are in the right place for sure. I think I'm looking to stay more in line with the orig bumper. It is also a back and forth work truck as well. Decembersend I think has the right idea for my application. Do you have the stock tow hooks for the T-blazer? I would think they will bolt right to my frame, with some modification to the bumper cover to allow access.

#13 ·
. I didn't realize it was the same hitch.
We call it the Brotherhood of the Traveling Receiver. :woot:

I've passed on Mike's Trailvoy Armory Serial # 0001 oil pan skid plate, my first generation wheel spacers, my first SuspensionMAXX lift spacers, some shocks, other lift parts, roof rack, etc., etc.

The Roadiemobile lives on by its transplanted parts! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I really like the looks of that front mounted hitch. I've seen them on other types of vehicles, but that's the first one for the front of the Trailvoy that I've seen. That might be the way to go, as it gives you the best of both worlds. You get a rugged place to do the pulling from weather you mount a winch there or simply a hook, and can also use it to move trailers around. It appears that it bolts right up underneath, and is mostly out of the way until you need it. With a small 2" lift I bet it is not any trouble re. ground clearance as well. Thanks for the info.:thx

#15 ·
...With a small 2" lift I bet it is not any trouble re. ground clearance as well. ...
Not a huge issue with ground clearance, but a deal-breaker for me after a while in terms of approach angle. It had to go as I got the confidence to tackle tougher trails.

It was so bad in the front with the Warn Multimount, that I took to carrying the winch in the rear, and leaving a clevis adapter in the front.

#17 ·
No doubt the approach angle is hindered. I saw on the website a picture with an incert in the reciever that acts like a plug with a small curved plate welded to the incert. I thought that might be a handy thing for most of the time. I really don't plan on doing any rock climbing at this point, just a few trips to the beach to do some fishing on Plum Island MA and also on the Cape Cod National Seashore if my luck holds this fall. I love Striper fishing and haven't done very much in the last few years do to family and health issues. On other excursions, I have seen the need to have the ability to use the front of the vehicle where the back end wouldn't help the situation at all. I've been fortunate so far that I've been able to wiggle out of those situations,,,,,lucky lucky lucky!:)

#18 ·
Yeah, I had that skid plate as well and sold it. (I think)

The other very useful function of that receiver and a D-ring mount is a place to jack using a HiLift. If you don't have rock sliders, you can't use it on the sides except one wheel at a time using the LiftMate adapter. HiLift sells a bumper hook adapter, but that only works on metal bumpers, not ours. So if you want to lift the entire front of the vehicle to get sand ladders or something under both front tires at once, (NOT TO WORK ON ANYTHING), the D-ring and Curt 31055 is just the ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.