v6 4.2 Envoy conversion to a diesel - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer > 2013+ Chevrolet Trailblazer Forum

2013+ Chevrolet Trailblazer Forum Discussion on the new upcoming 2013 Chevy Trailblazer

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
v6 4.2 Envoy conversion to a diesel

So I've been thinking a lot the past few months and been doing my homework on this idea, got the money to do it but I wanna know what others think about it as well and maybe get some other ideas. The stock 4.2 liter v6 that comes in the 03 envoys is so sluggish, doesn't have much power at all, I mean it can't even do a power brake, wheels won't break loose unless the road is wet. I love the suv...just wish it had more power and I've always wanted to build a sleeper/unique ride that would wow someone at the stop light next to me when I launch it.

I've had my eyes set on the 6.5L liter turbo diesel engine with a auto transmission. Yeah I know the rear-end will have to be changed, might have to do some modifications under the hood to make it fit and so on and ect.

I know some will say why don't you just buy a truck...if I wanted to that I wouldn't be here and I love this ride.

So I wanna know what do you all think? Honestly

Sorry posted in the wrong area, if it can be moved to the 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I think that would be really cool. I love my 4.2 tho, but I have a 3.73 rear end so I get a little more power. I also avg about 21 mpg. It just depends on what you like I guess. The hardest part of your project is going to be is getting the big 6.5 under the hood. You might also run into some front end trouble from adding the extra weight. If you were to do the conversion, it might notbe a bad idea to put 3/4 ton springs in front. Its a great idea and I say go for it. Good luck
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
I think you should go for it ! I have thought about putting a diesel in my trailblazer ! I was gonna put a Cummins turbo diesel in since it is an i6 just like what is in yours now ! Go for it !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
O and I'd defenitly beef the front suspension up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM

2002 GMC Bravada
Liquid Silver Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 4X4
Go for it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
I would consider finding an old 80's 4.3 GM diesel, rebuild it, ARP studs and bi-metal gaskets, and find a 4l60e with BOP mounting. I would want to do this the easiest way possible. I don't know if any did NOT come with BOP trans pattern.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 PM

2007 Buick Envoy SLE
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Let's stick to a Envoy vs Pilot comparison just to keep it simple.

http://duiattorneyhelp.com
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you want to put a diesel in your envoy id say go for it. However a 6.5idit (indirect injection turbo) has 100 less HP then the 4.2 L6. Not to mention easily another 250lbs. It will be a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. As for a 6BT (Cummins) its definitely way to heavy. A 4BT Cummins would work nut your talking 150hp with a good amount of money. You would be better off putting a 6.0 or a modded 5.3. At least it will bolt in and not require to much fab work. Im not saying the 6.5 or 5.9 wont work just, Just going to cost a LOT of money and your not going to be impressed. You could also do a ported head and header with a tune for the 4.2 or a gear change. Just a tune will wake up the engine and spin the tires if thats what your looking for.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
6.5 turbo diesel was NOT a good motor. The diesel idea is ok but I'd find a better option. VW has a 3L turbo diesel that would work great in a TB. The 4.2L is capable of making good power but GM has it choked to death so bad with torque management and emissions it doesn't stand a chance. A turbo option or even better a blower option would really wake the 4.2 up. Blowers are better for gassers since they can only handle so much boost anyway without pre-ignition issues and you get away from the lag and other reliabilty issues turbo's can have. GM had a supercharged 3.8L in the Impala's and Monty's ('03-'05). It would only take a small belt pully change to match that to a 4.2 engine size. PCM for Less did a good job of taking out the torque management on my '06 and really gave it some life.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:02 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Victory Red 4.2L I6 4X4
Where you get the turning option or different gears for the 4.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.