Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Occasional traction control light

109K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  Mohd 
#1 ·
I have had the traction control warning and service lamps come on while backing out of my driveway a couple of times. I have owned my '08 TB for 4 months and I reset it by shutting off the ignition and restarting. I have to turn sharp due to the shape of my dirveway and I am wondering if it is sensitive to the sharp turns. It has never come on at any other time. Should I be concerned?

#2 ·
I've had my lights come on two or three times in the last few months--also able to reset by turning off the engine and restarting.

I suspect that a wheel-speed sensor (straining a loose connector/wire during a hard turn) may be causing the issue but that's not much more than speculation at this point. Unfortunately intermittent faults like this are gonna be buggy to sort out.

Not much help, but at least you're not alone.

#3 ·
I was going down the road today at 35 mph and the Traction off light (triangle with skid marks?) and the traction light with a wrench came on too simultaneously. (directly to the left of it.)

pushing the button on the shifter did nothing and holding it down for 5 seconds caused it to blink a few times but still stayed on.

anyone else have these issues or a possible solution? is there anything the dealer can do about it?
I still have a 30 day "fix-it all" grace period with them.

thanks

#6 ·
any update on this? I had this come on twice so far immediately after a cold-start (a shut down and restart fixed it) but I also had a low tire at the time. After re-inflating all to the correct pressure it hasn't happened since...

#7 ·
If you have OnStar connect with them when the Service Stabilitrack light is on and have them run a diagnostic. They'll be able to tell you what sensor is causing the light. The light must be on for them to check it though. Good luck!

#14 ·
traction control light and service light

Have had same issues with both lights coming on almost weekly, with system not on traction control, but in regular two wheel drive setting. Mine is an 07 with 82,000miles. Is there anything I can check, before going to a dealer and bending over? Seems like someone in the know, should be able to weight in on this, with all of us having same problems. Thanks.

#16 ·
Have had same issues with both lights coming on almost weekly, with system not on traction control, but in regular two wheel drive setting. Mine is an 07 with 82,000miles. Is there anything I can check, before going to a dealer and bending over? Seems like someone in the know, should be able to weight in on this, with all of us having same problems. Thanks.

The Stabilitrak/Traction Control system is ON unless you turn it off with the button (turns on the Traction Off light and/or the Stabilitrak Off light). The system resets to ON when you restart unless a problem is detected, then the Stabilitrak OFF and Traction OFF light on the dash will come on.

If the lights come on regularly, there will be codes stored. Not much you can do without expensive diagnostic equipment.

4WD is a separate system with some interactions.

#17 ·
I agree with 91RS that the steering wheel position sensor is often at fault with these intermediate lights.

Interestingly, the codes cannot be read by an OBDII scan tool, but they CAN be read by some ABS scan tools. I have an Actron ABS scan tool and even though it doesn't go past 2005, it read the stored code. (Steering wheel position sensor.) I also did an upgrade to my Actron ABS reader, and it now erases ABS codes as well.

There are some newer scan tools on the market that will scan both emissions and ABS codes, so it would be interesting to hear which ones can and which ones can't read stored stability control system codes.

#18 ·
It seems to be happening to me a lot more often lately, and more so during colder mornings. It almost never showed up all summer. Has anyone tried digging into the steering position sensor to repair or replace it?

#36 · (Edited)
Traction Control Light

Same thing happens to me only when it's cold or wet out. I could be at a stop sign and just pull away with no skidding or anything and they light (orange triangle) flashes a couple of time and then goes off. I have had it in the dealership on a few occasions and they cannot detect why it's happening. Said it's possibly a wheel sensor but cannot get it to do it at the dealership to detect which wheel. Last winter was a nightmare as it would come on while driving on a highway and you could feel it trying to compensate for a skid that was happening. Also I had the steering wheel positioner replaced and that didn't solve the problem. FRUSTRATED!!! :duh:

#20 ·
Yes, members have replaced the sensor. Not too hard it appears, but you need to be careful to lock the steering wheel in the center position because you will be removing part of the shaft. The sensor itself is not cheap though.

As for code readers, not that many places will have scan tools that can read ABS codes, and even then, they may not be able to read stability control system codes. One reason is quite simple; it was only recently that they were allowed by regulation to read ABS codes on consumer-level scan tools. A few years ago, it was government regulation that only dealers could read ABS codes. This is why ABS scan tools (or combined OBDII/ABS scan tools) are fairly recent.

#23 ·
have same issue hot or cold ban doing it for two years now im trying to sell and having a problem because the light keeps coming on 2007 4x4 97000 miles. did you ever find a fix ? was it the steering position sensor? ive taled to dealer on several occasions (different) and all told me it does not have a steering sensor.Are they all full of crap

#24 ·
Ive taled to dealer on several occasions (different) and all told me it does not have a steering sensor.Are they all full of crap
If it has the light, it has the steering position sensor; it is a required part of the system.

Sounds like you need a new dealer.

Before you try replacing anything, get the code read. It can't be read by most OBDII scan tools, but it can be read by many tools that can read ABS codes. Check with your local garage. You will find out in 2 seconds if its the steering position sensor.

All indications are that it is as this seems to be, by far, the most common cause of intermittent lights, but check the code first. Let us know.

#26 ·
steering wheel sensor

Yes, I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. They replaced the steering wheel sensor, and that solved the problem. Now the light comes on for a moment when you are in a slippery situation, so you know the system is working. No more fix/tool box light! I was told that by not fixing that sensor ,you can compromise the control trac system so it won't be functioning. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. :D

#27 ·
ABS/Traction Control warning

I posted a similar message on the ABS area. My warning lights come on ususally when I back out of the driveway in the winter (salt, ice, snow). I think the front wheel speed sensors are getting dirty/contaminated/corroded. The problem usually goes away by itself. I get this condition 3-4 times per winter. When it first happened, I took it to the dealer for a big repair as they replace the front hubs ($330 in parts). The ABS/Traction control is working fine for me, even with the lights on. It has nothing to do with the AWD system. I just ignore it until something stops working, or the light stays on continuously (which it hasn't).

#29 · (Edited)
I just bought an 06 TB ext I6 4.2L, 4x4, when I enagage the 4low the traction light comes on is that normal? is the only time I have seem it come on? I had asked the question in the general thread but got no responce. I have to take the truck back on saturday for the dealer to take a look at it and would like to know what they should be looking for, or more important, does this means I should expect transmission problems down the line?

#32 ·
having same issue with my 2007

Those 2 lights come on sometimes, most often when I'm in the parking garage or pulling out of a paved parking spot. I have been having some low tire pressure as well, but it goes out when I put air in the one that leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.