Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How To Replace Envoy Headlight (w/pics!):

77K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  ch7 
#1 ·
I think the official article found here is pretty explanatory, but I figured I would post a step-by-step guide to changing Envoy headlights because there are no pictures specifically for the Envoys, and some of us (myself included) need to know how to change our headlights. Through pictures, I will show how to change the lo-beam lights on my 2002 Envoy.

Tools Required: Fingers

Parts Needed: 9006 (low-beam) or 9005 (high-beam) headlight/headlamp
Double check exactly which bulbs you need for your particular vehicle!

Difficulty: Very Easy

Estimated Time: 4-5 minutes per headlight, or 10 minutes while holding a camera in one hand

Cost: $49.99 for (2) Sylvania SilverStar "Ultra" High-Performance Halogen Headlights (better prices might exist elsewhere, I just wanted mine immediately so I paid full price)

Installation:

1) Lift sliding tabs up to free the headlight housing
2) Pull housing forward
3) Remove rubber cap
4) Lift clip and move plug away from the bulb
5) Turn headlight base 90 degrees counter-clockwise and remove
6) Holding new headlight (by the base only!) insert bulb
7) Turn new headlight base 90 degrees clockwise until it feels firmly in place
8) Re-attach wire plug (slightly tricky if you have big fingers) until it clicks
9) Replace rubber cap over the hole
10) Briefly turn on headlights, check that the bulbs work, turn off headlights
11) Push housing back into place
12) Push sliding tabs down to secure the headlight housing

Steps 1 - 3:

Attachments

See less See more
#16 ·
Anyone know if the little star headlight adjusters are available as replacement parts? I just changed the lamps on my Envoy and the LH adjuster dropped into neverland somewhere between the "Part robbing" crevices of the fascia, rad support and engine cradle. I just gave up searching and figured that I could pick up a replacement at the dealer.

During my drive this evening the headlight is pointing squarely down at the road. Now I read that some others in the forum indicated that you need to buy the entire assembly to get these star adjusters? Man I hope not!

#7 ·
Just a heads up man... If you're spending 50 bucks on a set of Silverstar Ultras, you could pay 5 to 15 more bucks for a good set of HIDs with about 2 or 3 times the output. I made the jump from SS to HID and I gotta say, it was worth the mulah. You won't regret it if you do.

#15 ·
i wish i could have seen this before but maybe its different for a trailblazer i had to take the ****er in because it had to have the grill replaced or something! i've dont headlights on soooo many cars and the trailblazer was such a pain.
It is indeed different for the TB. If you would have done a search here first you would have found instructions on how to remove the grill.

Oh well...live and learn:duh:

#19 ·
Question: I just bought at started to instal some Halo Fog lights. Now, I got the projector of the fog lights to work. But the Halo light needs hooked up. There is a red and black wire that I can hook up pretty much anywhere I guess. I want to hook the Halo light up to my daylight headlamps. Now, I noticed that there are 4 wires going into the headlamp, 2 blacks, a green and an orange with a white stripe. Which wires do I tap into?

#21 ·
Thank you to everyone for your positive comments. I'm glad I could help save time & money! I'm still learning here, and other articles / how-to threads have helped me immensely, I'm just trying to give back. I liked writing this "How To", even though the pics and writeup took way longer than the headlight install itself.

I'm beginning to do more maintenance things to my Envoy, and I'm capable of at least documenting them as I go. I'll try and add more write-ups for "the little things" for you guys.

- Mitchell

#25 ·
Hello McFly,

Great article with detailed pics; hoping someone would do the same for the TBs. Today, I spent about 2 hours and gave up, as I was not interested in removing the front grill. It turns out of course, I have no choice in the matter. Again, some GM engineer needs to give his head a shake. It’s a silly light bulb, I shouldn’t have to dismantle the front end. There was just no room or enough move play to remove the rubber caps, let alone get at the socket. The next warm, non raining afternoon, I will attempt the grill removal and once all open I will replace the both.

Regards, CCI_TBLT

#26 ·
Hello Everyone,

OK I will stop my belly aching about the grill removal for the head light fix. Since I also am interested in repairing the flakey bow tie, it will be useful to remove the grill, and kill three birds with one stone. Have a look at this fellow member YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGjOkusa6U

Here he shows us how to install HID’s but this is quite useful for just any general front exterior repairs on the TB. Thank you, frankrizzo442, when I have time I will check out you other postings.

Regards, CCI_TBLT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.