Hi, I'm back!
I know it's been a while since I updated but "stuff" has happened. Snow, snow and more snow. Clearing the driveway over and over several times a week for months when I've got severe arthritis is not my idea of a good time! And the cold, even though my shop is heated, it doesn't do well when it's this cold, so I haven't spent much time on my project in the last couple of months. Weather has warmed up in the last week, so, on with the show...
I've been working on the fuel system, exhaust, and shifting.
This thing has been sitting for many years with a 1/3 tank of fuel in it. I pulled the fuel pump/sender out and looked inside, and what do I see?
And the pump and sender.
I never gave any thought to trying to restore the tank, bought a new one. The sender I tried to clean things up a bit, hoping to simply install a Walbro pump, but the gauge sender was so heavily gooped up with this stuff that looked like construction adhesive all over it, I bought a new pump/sender to install in the new tank. So the budget is taking another hit.
Installing a fuel reg and new lines leaving just the main steel line and return line. New tank installed with new flexible lines. The old rubber lines to the filter were real bad.
Exhaust is tight. This is the worse part of the swap. The headers are close to the block at the point where the exhaust is closest to the firewall and connects to the Y-pipe. In hindsight I'd cut the flanges off the headers and weld on an extension to drop the Y-pipe connection point lower. But it is what it is.
I'm using a cheapo muffler, no hotrod sound for me. Only 35 bucks!
But you don't see the exhaust cut-out I installed after this pic was taken, ha ha ha
With the close proximity of the fuel lines to the exhaust I fabbed up some heat shields, I'm really big on fire safety.
Cardboard template where the exhaust is closest. Will also protect the brake lines. It wraps right up the firewall and then turns at the top to protect more of the brake lines, fuel lines and the steering shaft universal.
Light gauge galvanized steel.
It's hard to tell at first, but that heat shield is double walled so I have an air space between the one side facing the exhaust and the other facing the fuel lines.
It's difficult to see from this perspective, but if you look between the header pipes and the steering shaft you can see the edge of the heat shield.
I'm also concerned about heat around the shift linage, plastic parts, and the plastic harness and wiring.
Fabbing a heat shield
So today I'm planning on completing the heat shield for the transmission harness and then install the Y-pipe. Then on to the FI wiring.