Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How do I...remove transmission bolts?

24K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  InvalidUsername 
#1 ·
how can I get to the top two trans bolts in my 03 Envoy SLE 4200 I6, got all the rest out just need to know how to get on the two at the very top:suicide:

#2 · (Edited)
I have not done a tb but normally you remove the cross member, trans mount, lower the back of the tranny, support the engine and get a bunch of extentsions with a universal at the socket end and go for it.. (Do not forget to disconnect the exahust)

#3 ·
I had to take off the intake, and valve cover to get to those two bolts, there's a heater hose back there on an aluminum bracket too that gets in the way.
You may be able to bend a wrench to fit in the tight place but I haven't tried it,
The other bolts you can use extensions like the previous poster mentioned,
Good Luck!

#4 ·
I just did an engine R&R on a 2002 Bravada (4.2L) and was able to get them loose by using a 15mm box end wrench and then using a second box end wrench in the opening of the 15mm one as a leverage tool...it can be done without bending a wrench but requires MAJOR patience and brute strength...the heater hose has two tabs that point straight back..I made sure to bend those 90 degrees (sideways) before re-install to make it much easier to replace the bolts...then bent them back the right way after the bolts were tight as I could put them...a bent wrench (just bend a cheap one) works great for the side bolts and for quickly getting the top ones in but sucks for tightening

I also recommend running the bolts in the holes with wd-40 before reinstall to make it much easier to tighten them and get them in with just your fingers

I had the intake off but left the valve cover on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.