Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Low volume growling from front end

11K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GM Customer Svc 
#1 ·
Just noticed a low growl from the front end (I think). Low volume growl while straight and slightly louder on right turns, goes away on left turns.
My experience tells me right wheel bearing...agree?

I am going to get the tires balanced and an alignment first...I noticed a vibration after my last tire rotation 2 weeks ago and my steering wheel is ever so slightly tilted to the right as well.

05 TB with 55k miles. Can a shade tree mechanic accomplish this job without multiple Napa trips and beer runs?

#2 ·
Just noticed a low growl from the front end (I think). Low volume growl while straight and slightly louder on right turns, goes away on left turns.
My experience tells me right wheel bearing...agree?

?
Usually when the load shifts to the bad bearing, it complains.
Therefore, if it was the right bearing, the load gets transferred right when we make a left turn (weight always moves to the outside).
However, I had to change the right last fall. Like yours, it got louder when I turned right.

I have the left one (it might be a tire) complaining now, it gets louder on a left turn.

#3 ·
Sounds like a wheel bearing. Problem is, (and i experienced this), sometimes they both go but one "covers up" for the other one. So you'll replace one but still have the noise and it may even be louder; this was the case in mine. So be ready to replace both. Either way, theres a write-up on this site about how to replace the wheel bearing. You can definitely do it yourself, takes about an hour. Its even easier if youre RWD.

#4 ·
sounds like a wheel bearing assembly to me.....if it's loud when you turn right, then it's the right one.....mine was the left.....and it's starting to whine again with another 50k on it.......grrrrrr....gotta throw the cash at these trucks, but they are nice while they aren't begging for new parts.....

#6 ·
I also have a growling sound

Last week, I noticed a low volume growling sound coming from the front of my 2007 Trailblazer. My wife says she can't hear it but I drive the vehicle everyday and recognize the sound as different (not tire noise). The growling increases with wheel speed, not RPMs. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the sound when I turn the wheels. It is most noticeable around 40 MPH and coasting, before tire noise drowns it out.

My Trailblazer has 80,000 miles and is 4WD.

I'm thinking maybe the front differential rather than wheel bearings?

#7 ·
Last week, I noticed a low volume growling sound coming from the front of my 2007 Trailblazer. My wife says she can't hear it but I drive the vehicle everyday and recognize the sound as different (not tire noise). The growling increases with wheel speed, not RPMs. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the sound when I turn the wheels. It is most noticeable around 40 MPH and coasting, before tire noise drowns it out.

My Trailblazer has 80,000 miles and is 4WD.

I'm thinking maybe the front differential rather than wheel bearings?
Hello,

I do apologize that you are having problems. I see that your vehicle only has 80,000 miles and is a 2007. Sounds like it could be a powertrain warranty issue. If you would like me to verify that it is under warranty that way you can have the dealership take care of it, please let me know.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.